1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shoud I travel to meet this guy

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by hyrule, Dec 16, 2013.

1. hyrule

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi everyone. This is my first post here...hope i dont break any rules.

Well I have this dilemma and I don't know where else to post it. So here it goes

I am 20.Gay and closeted. I've never had any experience with either sex but im almost 95% sure i wanna be with men. In may of this year I met a guy on a chat site. He's 42, stays in shape and very handsome. He lives in california. I live in a little country in central america. We exchanged skype names and have had cyber sex since then. Our interactions are mostly sex related...it's very little what we talk not sex related, but he has shown me pictures of his house, gave me his facebook account (which seems normal, lots of friends, active social style etc) , jokes around a bit... etc. But im pretty sure he's only interested in me because of the sex, which is fine by me... I want him for the sex too.

This guy has asked us to meet several times. He offers to pay for my plane ticket (he earns good money) and to stay with him for a week.

- Do you guys think this a bad idea? I'm sure if I asked my mom she would never let me travel alone to another country to meet a stranger....but she also thinks being gay is bad so she isnt a mistake-proof source of advice.

- Has any of you ever done something similiar?
    - how can i convice my mom to let me go ?

i really wanna have sex with him.

know that i typed all of this it does sounds stupid lol. maybe if you showed me the risks i would be taking I would get this out of my head

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, and welcome to EC. You're definitely in the right place to talk about this.

So there are a lot of questions you need to ask yourself before you can make a sensible decision on this.

First, you've mentioned that your connection with him is mostly sexual, and he's more than twice your age. So when, separately from thinking about this particular guy, what do you think are your motivations? Are you considering going just because you want to have sex with a guy? Or is there a strong connection to this particular guy?

Also, you have to really think, if you're feeling a connection to him, what that connection is. Is this the sort of person, if you were walking down the street in your town, that you'd see, find super attractive, and want to have sex with, or are you feeling attracted because he's been friendly, kind, and interested in your problems?

I don't like to be a downer here, but one thing you need to really consider is what are his motives? No offense to you, but why would an emotionally healthy 42 year old man be wanting a 20 year old guy? My concern is that he may be seeing you more as a fun "object" to have sex with, rather than someone to build a meaningful relationship with. (Now... if all you want is some fun sex, then that's different, but my suspicion is that you've built up feelings for him.)

And additionally, being realistic, and again, not to be a downer, but there are tens of thousands of guys like him, who prey on younger people like you, and are absolutely masterful in their ability to manipulate and say exactly what you want to hear... to essentially "reel you in." More than likely, you're not the first cute 20 year old this guy has connected with off of the Internet (even though I'm sure he'll tell you otherwise), and so, unfortunately, you have to view his intentions and every interaction with suspicion.

And then, there's the issue of safety. You're traveling to a completely different country, one that, presumably, you've never been to before. You don't know anyone other than him in this country, and you probably won't have the financial or other resources to get yourself out of a jam if things go badly. Once you arrive in California, you're essentially under his control. While he may be sweet and charming and lovely, he could, if we're being sinister, lock you up as his sex slave, and nobody would know the difference. Or he could, for the duration of your stay, coerce you into doing whatever he wants you to do because... you'll have no other place to go, no way to get back home early, and, realistically, probably not even a way to get to the airport.

Put all of that aside, and think about what it is you're after. If you just want to have sex, then you should be able to find someone closer to your age, that you can feel a real attraction to, in your own area. We (gay people) are everywhere, even when it seems like we aren't. :slight_smile: And perhaps what you're feeling for him is an attraction as a father figure or mentor... and in that case, having a sexual relationship with him is probably not the healthiest thing for your psyche and your emotional growth, because there are tremendous issues with imbalance of power... he will have nearly completely control over you.

If it were me, it's not a risk I'd be comfortable taking. There are simply too many unknowns, too many places where things could go wrong, too much difficutly in creating alternate safety plans, and adding in the international issue... you really don't want to be doing something like that when you're not even in your own country.

Again, I hate to be a wet blanket, but you deserve someone who will love and respect you, who you'll feel authentic attraction to (and will feel the same for you) not just sexually, but emotionally and spiritually as well. I don't think this guy is that person.

3. Diego89

Hi, it does sound too risky. However how serious do you think he is when proposing this?

And if he's so interested why doesn't he come to you? He gotta understand it's not that easy for you to get there even if he covers all the expenses. I mean you are only 20, he's 42.

It doesn't make sense to me really, if it's only about sex, why would he bother so much just to get laid with you when there are plenty of boys around, considering he's in shape, handsome etc...

In any case, be careful.

Suerte!

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm gonna go with no. Chances are a 42-year old will have lots of advantages over a 20-year old, especially if you need to fly to meet him on his terms. Even if he's a sweetheart, I wouldn't risk it. Homophobic mom notwithstanding, I think she's right. :S

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    None of this makes sense. It's sort of creepy, actually. If he has the looks, is in shape, and has money, he doesn't need to travel very far at all to get what he wants. Also, think of the disadvantage and risk you place yourself in by not being on your turf and with someone more than twice your age. Your mom is absolutely correct on this one. I hope you come to see what the rest of us are seeing as both likely and potential in this situation (none of which sounds too good) and get yourself out of this situation now.

6. photoguy93

I would NOT do this.

As others have said, the whole fact that he is wanting you to travel to him is weird, especially when he claims to be so good.
    Do you honestly believe he couldn't go to like, LA and get some guy? No offense to you, but why does he have to go through all of this? Seriously. There's these things called gay clubs - if he's that good looking, then he'd have someone.

His age is another thing.....really weird that he can't find anyone, again.