1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About to go ahead with something pretty big, just wanted you thoughts

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by WhiteShadows, Dec 17, 2013.

1. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok,
    So I'm 17 and I've just finished highschool. I won't bore you with my life's story but I had a pretty hard friendship with a guy at my school that didn't end so well...

Anyway, during this year I considered not going to university straight away when I finished school, but instead taking a gap year and travelling a bit. I was thinking of doing an exchange to a spanish speaking country because spanish has been my favourite subject and I wanted a break from school. I also liked the idea of going somewhere in europe (I have an EU passport) for... attractiveness... reasons... if you know what I mean....
    I applied to a student exchange organisation back in July for Europe or Latin America, and didn't hear back for ages. Long story short, I finished school, and after messing around for ages, they finally have told me that I have the OK to go to costa rica early next year for an 11 month exchange. Of course, I'd be really excited to go, and I'm thinking I probably will go. I'd be attending highschool there, and hopefully getting a chance to make lots of friends.

The only thing that's giving me slight hesitation is the fact that I've lately had a massive attraction to guys slightly younger than me / my age. I'm a bit worried that if I go to Costa Rica for a year I will be eliminating a year in which I could potentially meet a boyfriend. (I wouldn't want to make a boyfriend over there and then leave the continent in the same year... not to mention I find Europeans/Australians to be hotter xD)
    So the thing is, I'd be 18 and a half when I got back, and I'm not getting any younger. So I'd probably only opportunities to meet older guys....

So.. do you think I should just not worry too much about getting too old and not meeting someone and just go ahead and have a (hopefully) awesome year learning spanish and embracing a new culture? All that's left for me to do now it lock it in and apply for a visa. Any thoughts would be appreciated :slight_smile:

#1 WhiteShadows, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You will rarely, if ever, have opportunities like this once you're older and need to get a stable income to live independently. Also, 18 and a half is not old at all, and by that time you will probably not be as interested in as many younger guys because they will seem too immature.

So, take the risk and broaden your horizons. When you come back, you will have lots of interesting stories to share with your friends and potential partners. IMO, any guy who has traveled out of the country is more attractive.

3. Foster

I would go!! It sounds like an exciting opportunity :grin:

4. man dolen

I should go. 1 year is not that huge difference.

5. William

Well depends on how young they are and Costa Rican law on sexual relations. Aside from that I'd go!

6. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just to clarify:
    I will not be having a relationship with anyone (boy or girl) whilst over there. The laws are fine but I'm not going to start something that can't go anywhere (with me leaving at the end of the year).

I think I'm going to go for it :grin:

#6 WhiteShadows, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Go for it. 18 just means you aren't a minor anymore. But in the eyes of pretty much anybody, you're still very young. Heh, people say I'm very young and 18 is 5 years in the rear view mirror. There is life after teens. :slight_smile: