1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I meet LGBT people?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Formality, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Formality

So where I live is really small (400 inhabitants) and the nearest city is about 70 km (~44 miles) away. The distance is no problem, takes about an hour by bus. The problem is I wanna meet other LGBT but I've looked into it and there doesn't seem to be anything there, no bars, no clubs, no cafés, no nothing. I've also tried to find some Swedish LGBT forums but I haven't found anything. What I want is to meet some LGBT people I can make friends with. As it is now I just feel excluded. I don't feel like there's even a potential for 'real' friendship with the people I'm around now. I would love to move to a bigger city, but the thing is I'm still in school, and I might have to stay one more year even though I was gonna graduate this spring.

I just got this horrible feeling like I'm stuck. I'm not the same person as I was 2.5 years ago when I moved here and I can only find some of what I'm looking for here. I'm a skiier and I'm aiming high but I feel like I either have to choose between "being happy" or skiing. Skiing makes me happy as well so I could never give it up. It's almost like there's no place for me.:icon_sad:

I'm scared I'm gonna go depressed again like last winter. I'd hate for that. Please help me. What should I do? How do I meet other LGBT from where I am?

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's tough. Do you have something like Craigslist where you can post an ad for gay friends? Note: a lot of people on such sites are creepers who are only looking for sex, but sometimes you find normal people in the same situation.

Also, look for LGBT groups in your city. If there is a university, there may be an LGBT student club.

3. Formality

Yeah I was actually thinking about joining something like craigslist, but the creepers... Well. I'm really not looking for anything but friendship for now and most of these "dating" apps, or sites seem to be mostly about hooking up. I'd probably rather do it in person in a non creepy environment. Are there any "online communities" like this that aren't all/mostly "sex"?

I haven't actually looked into that. There is a quite big university in the city so maybe they have some kind of events or groups or something..? I'll check that out.

4. sweetiepi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    if you're out and you see someone who looks queer, introduce yourself. it's easy enough for me, because gay people tend to know gay people. seriously it works for me every time i get depressed i go out and all it takes is ONE person. you don't need craigslist or any of that i swearrrrr

5. Callie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    You can find information about groups and events at HBTQstudenterna and RFSL Ungdom. I don't have any experience with them myself so I don't know if they're any good.

6. Silver Sparrow

If there's a university in the nearest city, that can be a good place. Also, if there's a bookstore that has a queer lit section, hang out there!