1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In a bad situation

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by RCJ24, Dec 17, 2013.

1. RCJ24

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In the past few days I have managed to regress in my processes of accepting my sexuality. I came out to my parents back in October. I embraced my sexuality even though they were disappointed. I've been coming out to some friends and I even got pretty serious with another guy. But yesterday my sisters were talking about how disgusting they think gay people are (they don't know about me) and it really hurt my feelings. So much that I ended things badly with the guy I was talking to and now I feel like maybe I should just keep my distance from any kind of relationship. That way I won't offend my family. I really don't ant to be alone forever but I feel like I must sacrifice for my family. Idk what to do. Please help

2. fortheloveoflez

Answer this: does your family love you enough to want you to be happy? If you are unhappy when you can't express yourself then there is a high chance that your family, which should love you, would also be unhappy seeing you in a depressed state. In the end, it's a lose-lose-lose situation. I don't know, maybe you can be happy living a straight life but if you can't remember what I wrote above.

The problem is that it's not fair for you to have to suffer because of your families primitive and illogical views on homosexuality. Why should you have to suffer because of their ignorance? You can try to reason with them. Tell them that it's not fair for you and your "future wife" to go on like this...tell them that you can't be happy this way and then if they want you to be unhappy then they can keep pressuring you into this nonsense, but at the end of the day you love yourself enough to make yourself happy despite what they may think.

3. RCJ24

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have told them all of this. They still love me and told me I have to live my life how I see fit but they will never accept it. And they won't allow me to tell my sisters.

4. AKTodd

Why exactly must you sacrifice for your family? If they will not accept you as you are, then I don't see how they are worthy of such sacrifice.

Todd

5. Jwis

Your family should want you to be happy. Period.

If I were you I would talk to the guy you were seeing. Let him know what happened and how upset it made you. Sure it probably wont make things rosy instantly but if he really does care about you, I'll bet he will be there for you.