1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sigma Alpha Pi Leadership Society... Should I join, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by phoenix89, Dec 20, 2013.

1. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I got an email saying that I have been invited to joining the Sigma Alpha Pi Leadership Society. Has anyone ever heard of them? Are they worth joining? I know I had a great semester 3.83GPA, but my over GPA is a 3.38, haha, I just realized they are reversed. Anyways, has anyone heard of them, and do you think it is worth me spending the $85 to join on top of doing the different required events?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've got one word for you: résumé. You show to prospective employers that you were in a leadership society and they will be begging at your feet to have you work for them.

3. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yea I know resume, but I already have graduate school on my resume. I just do not know if I should or no. It will be a time constraint and I do not know if I have the time for it.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately I don't know a lot about grad school and a master's degree in anything is probably impressive enough on its own, but if you want to really maximize your wow factor, I would still check into it.

5. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am part of Sigma Alpha Pi, and it is worth it to join. As someone already noted, it looks good on your resume, and it was actually a conversation starter for two interviews I had. Additionally, you can apply for scholarships, get a reduction in car insurance, and get discounts on other things like certain laptops once you're inducted.

It certainly won't hurt you by joining.

6. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok. Thanks for the input. It is nice to hear from someone in it. Is it large time constraint or will I be able to handle it with taking 9 grad credits (equivalent to 16/17 undergrad credits)?

I just find it strange that I got invited to join the full semester and before I graduate, I am also taking a summer term to finish my practicum. I have emailed a professor of mine to get his opinion, once I hear from him I will look at all angles. It is just interesting, the timing and the fact that I went from being on Academic Probation to getting a letter about a leadership society. Mind you, the academic probation for grad students is much easier to get on than for undergrad. Anything below a B- or 3.00 is Academic Probation, and 6 credits of C or lower is grounds for dismissal, and I got a C+ in a Class last year.

7. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Each university has its own requirements to get inducted, but all of them require that you attend a certain amount of meetings with people in your "team." Basically, all you do is hang out with each other for an hour, and share a specific long-term or short-term goal with team members. Each member gives you some advice on accomplishing that goal, and then everyone else shares their goals. Then, you go on the NSLS' site and write a short summary of your meeting, and goals you reached and the obstacles you faced reaching them (or you explain why you didn't reach them). For me, I also had do to some community service, maintain a certain GPA, and some other things. Overall, I didn't find it too difficult, and I was taking four classes in a ten week academic calendar.

Good luck in grad school, though. Planning on attending grad school in about another year.

8. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I heard from my professor, and he never heard of them, so I am still just as confused