1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So do I go to church???????

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by nolaboy, Dec 21, 2013.

1. nolaboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Hi,

I am new to this site. I grew up in a very conservative religious family and my father is a Pastor. I was/am typical good kid, into my faith, played sports, dated throughout high school. However, I have been struggling with my sexual identity since middle school and have ever only told one person. The best thing for me personally was college, even though I have not "come out", it allowed me to talk, meet and participate in the gay community. Well, going to church at home is a big deal, and like every year...and for some reason this year...people and my father will preach about the "gays" and how they are destroying marriage. How they are sick. How its perverse, evil, ugly...and as I sit there and listen. I do what i did as teenager, hate myself. Pray and pray to God to take this away from me. All i want is to be like everyone else, i am just tired of being alone!

Dont get me wrong, I love my family! I love my father. But, I also know them, and its not a good look if the pastor's son is gay. So its another year of sitting without anyone at christmas dinner, when everyone else has thier husbands or wives, and I just use the same excuse... With school, work, and sports I am to busy to be in a relationship...and as i utter those words, I feel so lonely in this world...i hate feeling lonely

2. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd like to know exactly why religious people think homosexuality is sinful, destroys marriage etc.... sigh...
    If I were in your position, I would take a stand. I wouldn't go to church if they preach about god not loving people for something they can't help.

3. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The issue is that there are seven verses, known commonly as clobber verses that preach against Homosexuality. The verse are

GENESIS 1:27: 27 So God created humans to be like himself; he made men and women

GENESIS 19: Story of Sodom and Gomorrah

LEVITICUS 18:22 (20:13) 18:22 It is disgusting for a man to have sex with another man, 20:13 It’s disgusting for men to have sex with one another, and those who do will be put to death, just as they deserve.

DEUTERONOMY 23:17-18: 17 People of Israel, don’t any of you ever be temple prostitutes. 18 The Lord your God is disgusted with men and women who are prostitutes of any kind, and he will not accept a gift from them, even if it had been promised to him.

ROMANS 1:26-27: 26 God let them follow their own evil desires. Women no longer wanted to have sex in a natural way, and they did things with each other that were not natural. 27 Men behaved in the same way. They stopped wanting to have sex with women and had strong desires for sex with other men. They did shameful things with each other, and what has happened to them is punishment for their foolish deeds.

1 CORINTHIANS 6:9: 9 Don’t you know that evil people won’t have a share in the blessings of God’s kingdom? Don't fool yourselves! No one who is immoral or worships idols or is unfaithful in marriage or is a pervert or behaves like a homosexual.

1 TIMOTHY 1:10: 10 The Law was written for people who are sexual perverts or who live as homosexuals or are kidnappers or liars or won’t tell the truth in court. It is for anything else that opposes the correct teaching.

When comes to going to church I do not know what to tell you. You are in a very sticky situation. I say the same thing about why I am not dating. It is a lonely feeling, but people should understand if you say school and just leave it at that.

4. Simple Thoughts

I'm an atheist so I'll try to avoid specifically addressing religion. I wouldn't have nice things to say about it. Especially your particular faith. :slight_smile:

It shouldn't matter what your dad thinks. You are your own person, and you deserve to be happy. If keep his appearance in church means more to him than you he'll disown you, that cannot be helped, or it could turn out all rainbows and glitter. Either way, you cannot allow yourself to just wallow in self-pity. It's not good for the soul, so to speak. You'll only allow it to build up more and more and more on top of you, until you're so far gone in depression that you forget that life can be so amazing.

You seem like a great person, don't forget yourself in hopes of pleasing others. Sometimes you have to be brave enough to take the leap, and hope that everything works out. If it doesn't, that just means you have to be strong and keep moving forward until things get better.

Life doesn't just magically fix itself, you have to be willing to do what you have to do. Don't let someone else's opinion of you make you lose touch with who you are. You have a right to find love, and a right to have your voice be heard. Don't let fear of anything hold back you from the world.

I hope this was helpful. ^.^

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find some of the teachings of the church to be hypocritical and personally if you live as the bible says in terms of being a good and upright person, that's what matters.

The vengeful god of the Old Testament is not my idea of a benevolent creator. Although I'm a person of science I still believe in a higher power.

6. Liz

Liz

I'm an atheist, but I like to think that if there were a God, they wouldn't actually hate gay people, because why?

Anyway, you have to be who you are, and if sitting through all that hateful bile makes you feel awful, then don't force yourself to, and explain why it is so awful (not necessarily revealing your own gay questioning).

Really, homophobia is a sickness and should be treated. All other phobias are considered irrational disorders that people do try to get help for, so why not homophobia?

Also, I would really love someone straight to come forward with evidence that other people's homosexuality had destroyed their marriage!

#6 Liz, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  7. RainbowMan

As for these specific verses, have you taken a look at Matthew Vines's talk where he very effectively dismantles all of them?

[YOUTUBE]ezQjNJUSraY[/YOUTUBE]

As for you going to church, if the content of the service is going to be anti-gay, I think that it would be detrimental to attend. If you have to, then simply remind yourself that these people are not enlightened, and ignore the content if you can - I know that it hurts, but try to remember that it isn't you personally that they're talking about.

8. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I have seen this video. Just because I listed the verse, this does not mean that I agree with them, actually the farthest thing from it. I personally do not see the need for them to even be in the Bible. This has lead to some interesting questions by my Bible study. I believe there is only one in my specific Bible study group that actually knows anything about me being Demi, but that is neither here nor there.

The question was asked about why some Christians are anti-GSM, so I listed the clobber verses that are so profusely used against the GSM community and allies.

9. tscott

Please note that Not one of the "Clobber" verses is a quote from Jesus, who quite frankly is mum on this whole issue...But then I'm an Episcopalian, and we're known for our more liberal stance...I to have begged God to change me...remove this stumbling block...Well, I got married, honored my vows, had 3 beautiful children, and am now faced with hurting the woman I love, by having to come out...I can't go on lying to myself and to God...I am who I am and it's God that made me this was way...It would be pretty ballsy of me to tell God, "Look, you screwed up...I'm not supposed to be queer."...There's a lot of hateful thing said to others...Christians were given two commandments by Jesus...to love God with all your heart and to love your neighbor as yourself...close quotes...end discussion...if that is not what is being preached then perhaps it's time to find another church.

10. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Jesus did not preach hate. How can someone preach "love" in such an angry judgmental way?
    No one should walk out of Church feeling self hate & guilt.

I am only commenting on what you said your father preaches as a Pastor. Not as a man or Dad.

#10 Rose27, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2013
  11. Sailorsheart

Excuse me, who did Jesus actually hang out with? That would be all the people that were disenfranchised from the society of the time. Rose got it right, Jesus did not preach hate but love. Church is not a place I find myself in these days. With all the hate and persecution that is spewed forth from the pulpit I actually feel dirty when I walk out of church.

12. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I had to go through something similar to this , except the pastor was my mom's friend and she forced me and my dad to go to this church every Sunday he would talk about how he hated gays and how bad they were . At the time I thought i was straight but i remember him making me so angry with his hateful preaching I was thinking how could you sit there and say God is a loving God and hate people for doing nothing wrong to you . I know you may not agree but to actually hate people this is sick . It was very hard hard for me but i just thought to my self this pastor is just an idiot that doesn't know better I was thankful when i didn't have to go to that church anymore it was the most hateful place i ever been to

13. MightNeedThis

HAHA! But really, this is how I feel. If our God is all-knowing, all-loving and creator of all things, why would He create people just to torment and hate? It's something I can't justify in my head. And if I'm wrong, don't correct me, because honestly it won't make sense.

\

And agreed with this too.

My opinion? Life is too short. Do what makes you happy.

14. tscott

thanks for the affirmation, MightNeedThis...Sun is out and the day is glorious...I truly hope everyone had a happy Christmas, and in particular, nolaboy and anyone who has had issues with those who've been hurt by those in a position of religious authority...screw'em...Winter is a season for hibernation, but like St. Anselm I'm going to go out and see my God in the woods (okay, it's a park, do we have to be so literal)...I'm going to feed black-oiled sunflower seeds to the chickadees and titmouses...My charity work for Boxing Day...See you on the next shift.