1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to have a feeling of self worth?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by agonizingnose, Dec 21, 2013.

1. agonizingnose

For the past year I had been in extreme depression. Around last month I began to come out of it. I am at the point now where I would consider myself "okay". I mean I'm still nowhere near as happy as my friends, but I'm far better than where I was a few months prior. However though, I feel empty. Like I'm not worth anything and that no one needs, or even wants me. I'm not suicidal (although I was), but I just don't feel like there is anything good about myself. I feel completely worthless, like I'm somehow "invalid" compared to other people. Any advice would be magniflourious thanks.

2. Nikky DoUrden

From my experience, when I feel blue, I try to reach out to places I like ..
    for example friends that you can talk to, or do some hobby you have, or even try to find out new stuff you're interested in via google :slight_smile:
    Sometimes you have to "make yourself" feel better in order to feel better, even if its artifical in the start

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What is something you know you can do? Try doing it, and do as good a job as you can. The ability to see a task, any task, through to the end is maybe even an overly direct representation of your worth as a person, at least to others.

But in your own mind, what do you contribute to the world? It doesn't have to be footprints on the moon or establishing a charity foundation or anything grand. It could be adopting a pet from a shelter and knowing that animal's life was not only saved, but greatly improved and (if it's a dog at least :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) he or she will love you forever for doing it. Your contribution could be listening to somebody who's hurting and relieving somewhat the same feelings in them you have right now. They may not make it known, but that person will never forget the time you helped them. :slight_smile:

Knowledge, assets and skills can be gained any time; character is what gives somebody value as a person. If you know you have that, hold your head up high. :wink:

4. Wildfyre

Wildfyre Guest

Hey bro, sucks to hear you're going through that. I've been through a similar situation, and found that the healing process began in reaching out to people around me.
    One thing you can do in the meantime is make a list of the things you're good at or like about yourself, or quotes of positive things people've said to you, and just keep it in your drawer or something, and look at it again when you feel like shit. I know it sounds kinda stupid and you'll feel self-conscious writing it up, but trust me, it works a little. Good luck.

5. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Hey Agonizingnose- Welcome back!!! (*hug*)(*hug*)
    Happy your posting! You were missed! You are an awesome kid!
    YOU need to learn to love & value you. You just have to see you are enough!
    Don't disappear again. Ok?!!
    Rose

6. agonizingnose

Okay. Thanks rose, and everyone else of course.:slight_smile: