1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Defeat

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by BookDragon, Dec 21, 2013.

1. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I would post this anonymously, but realistically what is the point. Anyone who read the threads I'm talking about is going to be able to put my name to this without effort so I may as well be open with it.

I feel like shit.

I am not, have never been, nor did I ever intend, to be thing kind of person who gives up on someone who needs help. If I can deal with the problem myself, I will advise until my hair falls out because I genuinely want other peoples lives to be better, and I fully and truly believe in the idea of 'paying it forward' so to speak. I had help from this community when I needed it and so help me I will do my best to help those who need it now.

But today I did something that made me feel ashamed of myself. I gave up. I had to tell someone that I will not help them any more. At all. Ever.

I had to, because frankly, for whatever reason I found each response to infuriate me so much that I would physically shake. However, I feel bad. I hate to give up on someone who needs help but I don't know what else to do.

I feel like a failure, and I hate it. :tears:

EDIT: I should add, for anyone who thinks they know the person I am talking about, that I am in NO WAY suggesting that they should be treated differently. This isn't my way of having a go at them and I have tried to keep the specifics as minimal as possible to protect identities, so PLEASE don't think I am taking the opportunity to bitch, I'm really not. I just don't know what to do, and I don't like failure, especially in something I'm usually good at.

#1 BookDragon, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You sound like an amazing friend. Nobody can have a 100% track record at everything their entire lives. I've had it happen more than once; if somebody doesn't want help, they won't be receptive to help and all you're doing by trying is pissing into the wind. You have to let that person suffer the consequences of their own lack of wisdom until they consider your offer, for as long as it takes. Even if they never recover and as tragic as that may be, it's not your fault.

If somebody in need does finally agree to working with you, then you can give it your all knowing you're making a personal difference for them, and that attitude works wonders for the motivation to keep at it. :slight_smile:

3. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Just wanted to say sorry your hurting. Hugs! Rose

4. Kreiger

We all mess up sometimes. I'm sure its something you can fix; you sound like you've got a reasonable head on your shoulders. Good luck, and feel better!