1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why am I so worried???

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by JakeHas, Dec 23, 2013.

1. JakeHas

So my bf got drunk the first time ever on Thanksgiving this year, and he said he wouldn't do it a lot again because it doesn't feel good afterwards. But he's just now telling me that tomorrow the same family and friends he had over during Thanksgiving is going to be at his house again, and he plans to do it again...... This is really upsetting me and worrying me and I don't know why...

Its weird... I like, don't have anything to back up why it's upsetting me, it just, really does...

---------- Post added 23rd Dec 2013 at 09:48 PM ----------

Sorry if this is in the wrong section!

#1 JakeHas, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  2. Data

Data Guest

Don't be worried.

That's the cycle. You get hammered, have a hangover and swear off ethanol, then a week later you forget how bad the hangover was and you drink again. :grin:

Just remind him to drink water with his booze, NEVER to take Tylenol while drinking or for a day afterward, and to stop drinking once he hits a dizzy, happy drunk buzz. It doesn't make sense to drink paste that point, because any more after and you end up throwing up and not very happy.

If he does end up with a hangover the next day, tell him not to take Tylenol, and advise him to drink a Pedialite and lots of water.

3. Jonathan

It sounds to me like you boyfriend is a social drinker who really only drinks on special occasions with his family. I really don't think this is something to worry about at the moment. He's only drinking on certain special days and does not seem to drink at all during the time between. And it's not likely anything would happen to him while he's drunk because he is surrounded by family. Now If he starts getting himself very drunk on a more regular basis (i.e. several times a week) then there would be merit for concern. However, his drinking habits seem nothing like that.

While you may not be able to produce any concrete reasoning as to why your worried, I think it's just because you obviously care about him and just don't want anything to happen. Just do your best to put it out of your mind and enjoy your own holiday :slight_smile:

Incredibly true ^ :lol:

4. SomeNights

You would know how that works Jon. Also Ibuprofen helps with hangovers as well as whatever kind of greasy food you can get your hands on. <_< >_>

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Jake, do you have any family/friend history of alcoholism, drug addiction, or drug abuse? Usually when we have strong, emotional feelings about things like that, it's because it's touching on issues in our own lives, usually family/upbringing issues.

If you do have anything that resonates to that, talking about it will help a lot in getting it under control.

As to whether it's an issue of real concern... if it's happening a few times a year, then it isn't anything to be concerned about. The concern would be if it goes from a few times a year to more frequently, and continues increasing in frequency, because that would signal a potentially addictive behavior. But for now, I'd assume it's a relatively normal thing that many people do around the holidays.

6. JakeHas

I understand, thank you everyone! I'm probably just being very protective, I don't want him to do something stupid... And no, my family doesn't have any history of that, Chip.

7. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not going to lie and say I've never done anything stupid while drunk. But I've never done anything to seriously jeopardize my health and safety other than a couple pretty nasty hangovers and occasionally falling flat on my ass.

At least for me, nothing keeps my behavior in check when I drink quite like drinking around family. If your bf is going to get drunk, he's going to be doing it in about the safest environment possible. Take it easy, let him enjoy himself, and let his parents and relatives be the ones to catch him if he trips over his own feet like I've done.

Also, my ex-gf still maintains that one of the sweetest phone calls she ever got from me was when I was drunk off my ass in my dorm and she was out of town with her family and I called to tell her I loved her and missed her. So you may have that to look forward to :slight_smile:

8. JakeHas

Aww, I wish he was that romantic when he was even sober!! hahaha
    Well you know what they say, if you can't beat em, join em! Anyone have advice on how I could persuade my parents to let me drink a wee bit???
    I bet it would make me feel better, cause we'd both be in drunken love! hahahah

9. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. Ask
    2. Just grab some when they're not looking

I'd stick to #1 though...

10. Data

Data Guest

Welp, I think that's something your parents are either going to be ok with or dead set against. I don't see the harm in drinking underaged if you're with PARENTS who will take care if you, but others don't think you should touch alcohol until 21. It's a toss up.

I'll tell you what though, when I was 15 I bought yeast and grape juice at the grocery store and brewed my own wine in my closet. Sterilize everything with a weak bleach solution, make an airlock out of a ballon, and keep it in the closet wrapped in a blanket. It will brew for a week or two, then it'll stop burping CO2 and the yeast will settle to the bottom and die. Then you have a ~9% wine or so.

I'm not advising you do that. It's pretty safe, but if you mess it up you'll end up with METHANOL which is toxic to the optical nerve and will cause blindness. Bad moonshine contains methanol and many shiners are blind because of it.

11. SomeNights

Yeah, don't do that. While I'm not the biggest underage drinking fan. That's just stupid and a good way to make your life rough.

12. Data

Data Guest

What can I say? I like to experiment! Didn't turn out like a nice sangria though.:grin:

13. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Probably not the best idea. :slight_smile:

I concur that drinking with family is, in general, the safest place to do it, but I also wonder what's going on with his family if they get drunk at every holiday *and* encourage/support someone in their mid-teens to join in. That, in fact, does not sound like a healthy family pattern, and if it were me, would raise concerns, as patterns for problematic drinking tend to form early, and often develop around your age. I missed the fact that he is (presumably) around your age when I responded before.

14. JakeHas

I understand, that may be why I'm worrying so much, because I don't want him to like it too much... I don't want him to end up getting drunk a lot and liking it too much. Last night I tried and tried and tried to get him to not drink tomorrow but he just said "ITS CHRISTMAS, HAVE FUN!"
    Gah

15. JakeHas

Also he is 17, I am 15.

16. MrBrightside

A week later? The next evening u mean?! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I wouldnt worry if i was you, if hes not doing anything stupid, and isnt addicted then drinking isnt going to be a major issue.

Id also say, take anything he says while drunk with a pinch of salt. Alcohol makes you say things u dont mean and generally speak shite.