1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever had any BAD encounters with meeting some one online?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by fortheloveoflez, Dec 23, 2013.

1. fortheloveoflez

Have you ever had a situation where the person you were talking to online had a fake persona and ended up being some one completely different from the pictures?

2. I have had people scam me online, one before I figured it out actually got money, then with more knowledge I knew the pattern and figured out what was going on and saved myself from it 4 more people have tried

So far never managed to meet IRL anyone from a dating site though

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I never met this person in person but i met a guy online that pretended to be a girl online . I really don't know why he did it though

4. photoguy93

Yeah, in different degrees.

Like, I've done online sites to meet guys - turned out this guy kept changing his age, info....and found out he was once in jail. Yeah, not good. Sooo scary.

Then, about a few years ago in school....This girl messaged me telling me she was in my class. She apparently did it to others. I knew she wasn't but hey, I went to a private school so maybe she was transferring in?

Well....turns out she was a fake. Not sure how, because it was nice conversation, I thought. Later, I realized it was a lot of the "hiii howw aree youu?" Stuff, which is spammy. But hey, shit happens!

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Three separate friends of mine have met up with people who weren't at all who they claimed to be. One friend in his early 20s spoke at length to a guy he met on one of the (better) dating sites and agreed to meet up with the guy, who claimed to be in his mid-20s. When they met, the guy was in his mid-40s, was not the same person as in his pictures, and it went downhill from there.

Another friend had talked to someone for several years. They finally met up, and the person wasn't the same person as in his pics, but at least was around the same age. They spoke for about 20 minutes, during which the person piled lie on top of lie on top of lie (all things that were obvious and easily verifiable), and my friend finally said "I was willing to give this a try, but there's no authenticity at all here, so this isn't going to work for me."

The third situation didn't even last that long. The guy was creepy, 30 years older than his claimed online age, and stalkerish. My friend talked to him for about 30 seconds and figured out he wanted nothing to do with it.

Why people think this could possibly work... I have no idea.

Now... on the positive side, I have two friends who met each other through Myspace, back in 2008, and they have now been together for a bit over 5 years.

6. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not really. I'm too cautious when it comes to that sort of stuff.

7. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never had any issues so far, but never say never huh? I have felt differently on two separate occasions during the initial meeting, and this is usually after 3 weeks to a month of texting/calling. I was quite disappointed that the chemistry wasn't there, but I had fun while it lasted, I guess. If anything, with the advances in technology, make sure you get the person's Facebook information, twitter, Instagram, Skype etc...

My brother has been cat fished before and I felt so bad for him. My close friend is actually guilty of doing the cat fishing and to this day, I'm sure the girl is clueless about it. I could never pretend to be someone I'm not nor hurt another person. I think it's very deceitful and there's no possible way that you can start a potential relationship off with lies.

#7 pinklov3ly, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One BF, but it didn't last long, 2 scam attempts, and a really disappointing date.

Not encouraging so far...

9. Gallatin

It's been a mixed bag for me. I've had one success (nice guy that I dated for a bit), one miss, and one neutral. I haven't yet met someone who's not at all who they claim to be, and hopefully that doesn't happen. I'm generally extremely cautious about meeting people from the internet (as one should be).

10. seekingcalm

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had gone out with about 7 girls that I'd met through online dating - 5 of them I only had the one date with, the other two I casually dated for awhile but there was no chemistry with one and the other just didn't put as much effort into dating as I needed. Only one of the girls was what I considered a bad date (just no real chemistry with the others) - and even then it wasn't so much that she misrepresented herself but she was a lot more socially awkward in person than online. I don't normally hold that against anyone since I'm more of an introvert anyway but she couldn't even look me in the eye and just gave me kind of a creepy vibe.

All that said, I did finally meet my girlfriend online and I couldn't be happier! My brother also met his wife online so there are some happy stories out there. You do need to be careful of course and it's ok to be skeptical until you've met in person IMO. Sometimes chatting online seems great but you meet and there's just nothing between you. It may take time and it may be frustrating at times but for me, it was totally worth it!

11. MoyashiAlice

Not that this is a dating site, but I used to talk to people on youtube when it was more accessible to do so. I met some really nice male friends I used to talk to everyday but I did face trouble with one guy.

This one guy was basically obsessed with me, claiming that I was the perfect girl and he would love it if we could online date. I was like, 13 at the time (he posted pics of himself and if they were really of him he was about 15, so I said no. Judging by his voice, since he made Star Wars lego videos, I'd say he was the age he said. Yet he came off as a extreme creeper after a while, obviously creating another account of his "friend" who would try to suggest that I should date his main account.

After a while, I ended up just deleting the account in order to get away from the guy.

12. ASAP Deakey

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't completely rule it out, there are some success stories, some in this thread which is cool.

I personally don't use the more official dating services online, but I do use [app name removed by mod] on my iPhone, dunno if people on here use that or not but it's basically a local lesbian personals app. I know guys use [the one beginning with G that EC censors], and that has a reputation of being a hook-ups only sort of thing, but [name removed] is not that sexual to me... still pretty casual though.

My thing is that after a week or two weeks of chatting I have to meet up with them otherwise it's a waste of my time. I don't really see how you could know for sure who you're talking to unless you meet up with them in person and get to know them personally.

That being said, out of the two girls I met up with so far, one turned out to be 15 :S, and the other I wasn't interested in in person, no chemistry or attraction. I'm definitely gonna keep using it though.

13. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Worst thing I ever had happen meeting someone online was I hooked up with a guy. After dude spends over an hour giving me head he looks at me and says "I cannot stand gay guys". After I got offended and started leaving he started yelling stud like faggot at me.

14. ninerw

how weird...I just set up an online account with a dating site and started talking to a guy. We chatted for about an hour and now you got me second-guessing! Jkjk...I can't say I'm not nervous about even talking to someone online, let alone they make everything up!

15. fortheloveoflez

Ya, even though I've really only had decent people who I met up with (they didn't lie about who they were etc. online) I still get nervous meeting for the first time. I mean, really, you never know who can be on the other end.

16. thekillingmoon

No, not really, but I kind of given up on meeting someone online for a relationship.

17. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nope. Nothing shady, anyway. Phone conversations preceded the meetings and they were very much in person like they were on media. Either short-lived or nothing became of it, from my side or theirs. My interest in such a venue sputtered a long time ago. Yuck. You develop an interest from first meeting in person. It doesn't feel so artificial.

18. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

19. Wardrobe93

I've only met one guy online and he is everything he said he would be and we've now been seeing eachother for a while, I'm going to his tomorrow in fact :grin:

I met him on a Random Video Chat site, we chatted for a while,exchanged numbers and added eachother on a video chat platform. added eachother on a certain social networking site. and so video chatted phone called and texted every day.

Basically from speaking to him for a few weeks, the detail he went into with his career and other things I was 99% sure he was who he said he was. We met after only talking for 2 and a half weeks (felt like so much longer its ridiculous!)

Precautions: My parents know about me and they knew where I was going and if it turned out i didnt like him i could come back. Anyway i stayed the night and it was great :grin:

just DONT MEET WITHOUT VIDEO CHATTING, and id probably say without adding them on social networking thats pretty solid proof of who the person is.

Also dont get too attached, heartbreak is common meeting people this way im just lucky to have met someone cool but they are out there! But ive had bad experiences through that too, only ever met up with this guy but yeah just be careful and vigilant

If you have doubts then trust them.

20. JessRae

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Nope but I would like to try one though it's kinda scared and awkward but who knows you might find the one through online. :slight_smile: