1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does everyone want to talk with me about my beliefs?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by phoenix89, Dec 23, 2013.

1. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I amusing that a lot of people have seen the post about how the Pope has said "that racism is wrong and all religions are right". If not, here is a link to the article Pope Francis Condemns Racism And Declares That

This article was in fact faked by satire blog. However, before I realized that, I had shared it with a comment about it and said that "I have been saying this for years about religions. People who worse God are all worshiping the same God, we just have different styles of worship."

A staff member from the church that I am apart of at school, then commented on the post about how this article was not true, but would love to talk with me about my beliefs. This is not the first time I have heard this and not the first this school year. I have had people wanting to talk with me about my beliefs more this year than ever before. I know I am more involved with the church this year and the staff members try to be involved in the lives of the students. But at the same time, are my beliefs that strange, that people want to talk with me about them?

They have asked to talk with me about my views on homosexuality and the Bible, and how I do not even see a need for it to even be in the Bible, me being Demisexual. Some of the staff members know, but not many. As well as, how I somewhat hold a universalist view on Heaven, I waiver with this sometimes, this belief is lead by grief so it can fluctuate depending on how much I am grieving. In addition to how I hold most religions on a similar level and just basic religious issues and struggles. All of these conversations have been respectful and helpful but the tension and fear that I feel before is just so difficult. I just do not want them to think that my beliefs are strange. My faith is the strongest that it has been in years, and I don't know what to do. Are my beliefs really that strange, or am I just being to sensitive to all this, because I am not used to people being this involved in my faith life?

#1 phoenix89, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  2. Kumiho

From your story, it's a staff member from your church that wanted to talk to you about your beliefs, right? There's a good chance the talk they want to have is to figure out why you believe this, and to try to make you see how you could be wrong. Especially after making a statement about all religions being true.
    A lot of people believe that their religion is the only true one, and that all others are simply confused, deluded, or in denial.
    Also, your beliefs are not that strange. I have a similar belief about the different religions.

3. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yea it is staff members from my Church. They are probably trying to figure out why I believe what I believe. Mind you, I am on the more liberal side with my beliefs. A lot people do believe that their religion is only true religion, but in all actually we no idea what is the "true religion", or if there one.
    It is nice to hear that they are not that strange. I get so self conscious about what I believe sometimes.

4. couple things

1 ) Universalism is not strange - not something I ahdere to but it is not something that is WAAAY out there or anything

B ) This was a member of your clergy, they always need to talk to you about stuff, and you posted against the beleifs of your faith, of course you are going to be confronted

iii ) most everyone wants to convert people to their world view, on everything , not even just their faith. so talking about doctrine and stuff, real common but it is what causes most fights due to it being the most strongly held thing (your "moral" compass)

5. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like how you changed your numbering from integers to letters then roman numerals, very nice.

1. Really do not know if I adhere to it or not. I do for the part but I do not think it for the right reasons so it is a bit confusing.

B. The staff member who made the comment today, is not actually part of the clergy. But a relatively new staff member and is not long out of college. The church I attend is a college based church and the staffing set-up is a bit interesting. They do not really follow the model of Clery, then Elders, then Deacons and so on. There 5 or 6 pastors, I do not think all of them are ordained though. However, there are around 12/13, maybe more, members on staff, including the pastors. The spouse of some of the staff members help out as well, with some of these spouses becoming staff members themselves. This sort messes with the number. I assume because of what I said seemed to go against my beliefs, or the set beliefs are Christianity, they were going to question it, but I still find it odd that they are getting involved in my faith life to this extent. Some people at my home church got involved, but it was usually after a large blow-up or when the Church tried to do a mentoring program. But it is not was not as personal as the people at this church are getting involved. I think I need to sleep on it and maybe talk with this staff member to see what his take away was from my comment.

iii. That is true, a lot of people do try to convert. Sharing ones beliefs is not necessary a bad thing, if it done respectfully, but trying to force it is a whole nother manner and I can have seen that get very ugly very quickly.

Thanks for listening to me ramble, it is late and I do not want to go to bed.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whenever somebody expresses their beliefs, people who believe otherwise sometimes see "fresh meat." That person whose feelings are well-established feels that they can change your mind from those dissident thoughts. It's not true of course, and more than likely they will fail, but they must attempt. Abrahamic religions at least will do it in order to save your soul from Hell, where they are convinced you are headed.

I saw in the newspaper once, though, where a rabbi and Protestant pastor had a daily advice column called "The God Squad." Even they as traditionalists once entertained the idea that all religions are different paths up the same mountain (Heaven) and that different interpretations of the same God was a sound mentality. And their piece wasn't satirical. So you aren't crazy! :slight_smile:

7. ASAP Deakey

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like it's good to go with how you feel for as long as possible, and only change it when you feel that would be the best thing to do. Other people have their beliefs, and when they're older than you and/or used to guiding others in a religious context they want to guide you in their direction. Or, in the very least they feel that you need to justify your different beliefs to them and to their satisfaction. That sounds like what this person is trying to do to you, OP. And you don't have to oblige. I would, but that's only out of curiosity around what they'd actually say to me. :slight_smile:

8. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do not plan on changing my beliefs, but I might still talk with person. I have no problems talking about my beliefs with others. I just find it interesting that I been asked about my beliefs so much this past year.

A lot of staff members at my church serve as mentors so they are definitely used to guiding people, but I am not asking for a mentor, especially this close to graduation. This is not a bad thing, because I am not limited on who I can go to for advice, but very few of them know my story though, so that is bit of an issue.