1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help with something I don't understand

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by GivePeaceAChanc, Dec 24, 2013.

1. to start out I need to explain I have aspergers and this is why often I don't get why people do things the way they do and often I don't get jokes

why do people play this game?

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/fun-games/112037-would-you-rather.html

all of the options make me want to do one of tow things - I would either shoot myself or punch the person in the face and refuse to do it.

I am coming from having been in a domestic violence relationship, my first serious partner beat me. It started with her offering me options like that and being controlling. I don't understand people liking being told they have no choice but to choose evil choices

it makes me think of how I was raised - you will worship this god who will burn you in hell if you don't - my parents never acknowledged the option of "hey there jut is no god and you get to control your own life and it is OK to be lesbian" it was always "you are going to hell for being lesbian"

see why the game would be a trigger? being pushed into a corner of no good choice and told you have to chose was bad for me.

also I have often been trolled on the internet for being "a negative person" and told just think positive and your life will improve, "law of attraction" sort of stuff.. Which I see as blame the victim. Because they were seriously telling me, I had designed my life so that I had attracted my rapist to me by my negative energy.

But I don't see my thoughts "warping" the universe in such a way that it becomes something new. Science does not back this.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People play that game because some of life's common choices are boring. They want to test their ability to make decisions in crisis mode. When the game involves bad choices, it's okay because it's all hypothetical, so no pain or hardship comes of it. Think of it as an exercise in escapism-- just like books, movies, etc. but one that can be done with no equipment and is as long or short as desired.

My ex was similar to you in that we think she had Asperger's and that some things would be insurmountable "triggers" to her, reminding her of past difficult periods. I would try to help her out, funny enough by narrowing it down to two options. The first is to attempt to see the game for what it is, a harmless thought experiment, and just brush it off. The second would be to express to the person that you don't want to talk/think about that sort of scenario and to change the subject to something else. I don't think it ever worked :S but that's without knowing how somebody else's brain deals with hurtful memories.

Pain suffered before should not be a barrier to present/future enjoyment. I know you understand already that no life is completely utopian and bad things will happen. You just have to be strong and not let those bad things break your ability to see good things. :slight_smile:

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally I'm aware bad things happen in the world and as a natural defense mechanism most people don't focus on those things. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.

Also, stay out of that thread if it makes you uncomfortable. Don't do it. Hopefully you aren't feeling some "peer pressure" like you have to.

4. I certainly will, I have been in enough therapy to get the advise to avoid things that hurt me or trigger me, it is why I am not at the other forum where people hurt me.

---------- Post added 24th Dec 2013 at 09:58 AM ----------

thing is I am great in real crisis like I said hit me with something and I strike back - comes from being bullied so long. I will fight to the death if I have to, I actually did, my rapist had to beat me until I was unconscious before he could take me.