1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When is the "right" time to marry?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by estrella, Dec 25, 2013.

1. estrella

Hey,

So, I know it's far too early along to be popping questions and devoting your entire life to your significant other. But I'm curious, because everyone seems to have a different opinion on how things "work." Sometimes things fail for couple who've known and been together for years. Things work out at other times for new couples. While their is no timetable to relationships, what is your personal experience and/or opinion on this matter?

To be honest, I'd love to marry him--one day. Because there's so many qualities I see in him that make me want to be with him more and more.

2. Gen

Gen

In my opinion, while love should be at the heart of your relationship, I wouldn't imagine being in a rush to finalize marriage until the time came that the two parties would be thinking about combining assets and/or having children.

Marriage should be about your partnership, but it shouldn't be done with the mindset that it will take your relationship to another level or make your bond any greater. Marriage forms legal and financial bonds, but emotional bonds should be able to flourish prior to the commitment, otherwise things will never last.

I could meet the love of my life tomorrow, but I would still wait the eight years I have to get my PhD, find occupational and financial stability, etc. I could understand engagement at an earlier time; I just don't understand the point of getting married simply for the government supplied certificate.

3. Mogget

There are a ton of different factors in when, why, and how people marry. Some people date for a decade or longer before tying the knot, others for only a few months. There's definitely more risk, imo, with marrying less than a year into a relationship, but there are times when it makes sense (e.g. my best friend married her husband after about a year of dating in part because it made it easier for her to get custody of her daughter).

Personally, I wouldn't want to marry someone I hadn't been dating for at least a year and lived with for a few months as well. One thing that helps me when trying to make a big decision is to ask myself, "What would I think of this choice if it were someone else doing it?" That may also help you.