1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone offer me advice on making the first move?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MightNeedThis, Dec 26, 2013.

1. MightNeedThis

Hey EC family!

I've never really been good at romance or a love life in general. I'm too scared to make the first move, and from what I hear I'm not good at sending out signals showing how I feel. So, I'm going to need some help.

I'm trying online dating, and while it is probably soon to tell, I think I found a girl I'm interested in... This is going to sound so cliche, but I get so excited when I get a message from her, and find myself constantly checking my phone, hoping she's messaged me. Granted, it's only been a few days since we've been talking, but I'm just trying to prepare myself so I don't mess things up... I haven't ever been with a girl, even on a date with one, so I'm kinda freaking out.

So, EC fam, how long do you guys wait before making the first move? Whether it be moving from the website to texting, or even for that first date, how do you guys know the timing is just right?

2. how funny for this to crop up :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

it depends i guess.
    ive got many peoples numbers online and not met quite a few irl just kept it offline, sometimes its better that way. idk why just is as you can be friends with someone but you might not be very good in a real life situation with them. idk if that makes sense? ahha.

dont be too clingy and reply straight away.
    if you feel youve got a lot in common if youve been taking for a few days or even weeks then ask for their number/social media

i think its normal to get excited at someone replying to you :slight_smile:

i wait a month or two meeting irl. but ive given my number to a few girls within a week/few days of speaking to someone online if i feel weve got a lot in common/ive liked speaking to them.

somtimes things can just 'match up' like hey ive got x day off if youre free we coudl grab coffee or something and then they might be free too, but if not then it doesnt matter :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: i think things just go at the pace they go if that makes sense, no right timing as such imo.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's nothing wrong with expressing interest, as interest at this level simply means "what I've seen so far is appealing". You can either jump in with both feet ("I do find you appealing - would you be interested in going out on a date sometime?"), or simply nudge things forward a bit ("Would you be willing to swap cell phone numbers?"). You can always give a disclaimer like "I don't want to come across as too forward if you're not ready for anything yet".

Lex

4. MightNeedThis

Hahha oh God, why do you say that?

No, it definitely makes sense, some people I've talked to online and just have no desire to meet. It just works well online, don't worry, i got you :slight_smile: I think waiting is the hardest part! I'm never sure if I'm going too fast/slow, and constantly worried that they will lost interest regardless of what I do, haha.

And thank you, I'll definitely try to give it a month, especially with all the holidays, it could get very weird very fast... really hoping we can mash a day up, though. And thank you! I actually got her number yesterday, but i'll wait to meet up, like you said. Thanks a jillion :slight_smile:

Thanks, Lex! I just gave it a gentle nudge, turned out well! Cross your fingers for me!!

5. piratealisonnn

Just let her make all the first moves and keep your fingers crossed that everything turns o[ut well :wink:

Nahhhh, just kidding. Then she'll rub it in your face all the time.

Anyways, best of luck girl! <3

6. MightNeedThis

Sounds like someone is speaking from experience :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Thanks! I got her number, and if things keep up eventually we'll get fro-yo... if she likes that...

But thank you for the support, u da best <3

#6 MightNeedThis, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  7. GreyFox

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    hello!

i find that when i meet people online and i like talking to them, i'll just tell them that they're fun to talk to and ask them if we can chat offline via text or whatsapp.Then depending on what they say, we exchange numbers. Mind you, i'm looking to make friends, but it works the same way if your goal is to get her number!

Then based on how often you talk and how well you connect, you can ask her for her fb or whatever social media you guys use. I don't really look at that stuff as "making the first move" i look at it more as "going with the flow"

hope that helps, and good luck :slight_smile:

8. MightNeedThis

Definitely helps!! I'm always so nervous with these things... Thank you!