1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does a Human Being have any real impact on the world

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Beware Of You, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

I am someone who has in the passed tried to end my own life, I still get feelings of doing it again, mostly around my sexuality.

Anyway one thing I can't get out of my mind is the idea I am worthless and just not worth bothering about, being gay I can't have kids and well the thought keeps on creeping in my mind.

2. Soleil

It is my belief that we are all needed. .. . and my experience that often wrapped within our greatest pain, deepest wounds and guarded by our most frightening demons lies the greatest treasures we possess. The pieces of ourselves that we are meant to contribute but have stuffed away when life experiences told us it wasn't safe to let them show or shine. If you ask me. . .. existence would be less complete if you were not here and were not you.

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That depends on what you mean by 'impact' and what you mean by 'the world'.

You could argue that no, in the grand scheme of things, your life, my life, anybody's life, they are all worthless. COULD understand. One of us dies, the world continues, aeroplanes still fly, tides come in, Soleil will still go to work in the morning, the EC staff will come online and ban someone for something. It's not going to stop. Perhaps you're famous and a bunch of fans cry for whatever reason but it goes on.

But this is one of those occasions where we say "FUCK YOU" to the bigger picture. Almost every person knows at least one other person who would break, just break completely, if they were to die. Most people know a whole bunch.

EDIT: There would be more to this post to sort of tie it together, but I can't find the words without sounding like my mother, and I refuse to EVER use her line of dialogue.

4. AKTodd

Impact is a matter of opinion. Most people would say that Alexander the Great or Albert Einstein each had an impact in their own way. On a rather less historical scale, most people's parents have an impact on them and they in turn have an impact on their friends and family. In terms of the whole universe as a whole, nothing we really do on this one little planet means anything. YMMV.

As far as having kids as a measure of your worth as a person. There are 7 billion people on this planet. We are in no danger of running out of children or of the tribe dying off or losing a battle with the city-state next door because you didn't produce your quota of offspring. Your worth as a person is in no way tied to your ability to reproduce.

Coming at this from a couple of different directions, some other thoughts:

a) If you simply want to continue your genetic heritage, then perhaps you should consider sperm donation. In principle, you could have multiple offspring running around eventually and for a period extending far beyond the time period you would normally be able to reproduce or even exist if the sperm are frozen.

b) If you are actually talking in terms of spreading your family heritage and values, then those are ideas and concepts, not concrete physical things. You could readily adopt one or more children and raise them in your values and heritage and history, thereby assuring that these would continue beyond your lifetime.

Todd

5. Gleeko0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What I was going to say: Item B

Thank you Todd for putting it into words :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. emkorora

emkorora Guest

Right-o.

Our lives mean relatively little. The sooner people realize their lives are ultimately unnecessary in this "grand scheme," the less drama people create. To me, it's all so petty.

But I suppose, conversely, that the focus on our own, tiny lives is what drives us to improve them. After all, if no one cared about their life as opposed to the bigger picture ... negative things would occur.

So I think it's a balance. Understand you're an important cog in the machine but stop bitching about your life being amazing or being terrible. :grin: