1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still Suicidal

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by The Spark, Dec 26, 2013.

1. The Spark

I tried to kill myself in October by slashing my forearms, but it didn't work, I got scared, and ended up going to an institution for three weeks to be "fixed." But it's been a couple months, and I feel no different. I see no point to life. It's all work and heartache. The negatives hugely outweigh the positive, and I don't know what to do to change my perception. Nothing helps, not the counseling, the medication, the family/friend support. I just feel hopeless. How do I find hope again? How do I find reason?

2. Gay Stoner

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Listen I know what it's like. I'm still suicidial and agent found a reason to live but please do. I've found people who actually care will be there for you and talk you out of it.

3. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A change in medication and some serious effort from you might be in order. Eat well, get enough sleep, try and do new things and talk to different people. Talk to your doctor about meds.

You can do it! :slight_smile:

4. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It takes hard work from those around you and from you too...

Do you think improvements could be made by
    - talking meds through with your doctor again
    - going on a trip for a week or two - stay with relatives or friends
    - doing volunteer work
    - sleeping properly, eating well

anything that breaks the old patterns and makes you feel different

5. I've tried twice and I realize it wouldn't have been worth it. Life wont suck forever and it will get better (I know so cliche, but it's true). I would just try to eat healthy, exercise, maybe get your hair and nails done or something to help give you a nice pep up. Stay strong! You can get through it! (I sound like such a cheeseball)

6. Silenthe

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree with what everyone's said.

I would like to add-- There have been times when the same thoughts circled in my mind: "I see no point to life. It's all work and heartache. The negatives hugely outweigh the positive, and I don't know what to do to change my perception... I just feel hopeless. How do I find hope again? How do I find reason?" At times, these thoughts weighed me down so much that I couldn't get out of bed. I would lay in bed all day, nap on and off, feel tired, and know that I'm tired because I've done nothing, and yet, I was still unable to make myself do anything, because these thoughts crushed my ability to do anything.

So how did I find hope again? How did I find reason again? Sometimes, as has been mentioned, I found some activities to do. I tried to make plans. And yet, The Spark, I Feel you, I know how these thoughts can consume everything--identity, ability to function, ability to act-- So, I would try the things suggested by the other posters, but if Nothing works, then well, you could choose to be kind to yourself. You could choose to do what you feel that you can manage to do. Perhaps start small. Is getting out of bed too difficult? Well, then there's nothing wrong with staying in bed and finding a TV show and watching all the seasons at one go. (Downton Abbey is my latest addiction.) Is it too difficult to get dressed? Well, then there's nothing wrong with wearing PJs all day! You could hang out in bed all day. I've done that. And then when you feel ready, perhaps open the window and listen to what's going on outside. And when you feel ready, you can add to the activities you do each day.

During the times I couldn't find hope and meaning, I stopped trying to find hope and meaning. I just existed, and if I had no hope in life, still, I kept the one remaining hope that I would someday find the hope again. Is it essential to have hope right now? Is it essential to have meaning? You ask very difficult questions, one that great philosophers and thinkers have tried to answer for thousands of years. They give us a variety of answers. If these answers don't feel enough, then perhaps the only choice is to find your own answer, which, to me, is what life is about.

Wishing you all the best.