1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dad made a comment that felt homophobic

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Bzrk, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Bzrk

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi,
    Today me and my parents went to visited some dogs because we wanted to adopt one and two of them were asleep and holding hands so my dad said "oh there holding hands oh no it's okay because ones a girl and the others a boy." I'm probably overreacting but that comment made me feel bad because I just kept on thinking seriously you're worried the're gay if anything was a problem it should be the fact that they're siblings. Sorry if I'm being silly its just that comment freaked me out and made me so worried about telling him I'm gay and it made me feel like a bad person for being gay.

Sorry about the rant just needed to tell someone that understands.

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents were talking about the word gay and queen last night. I think my dad is kind of open or tolerant but... not if it's his son.

I tried to put them in their place but I've just realized how homophobic my family actually is.

Well they like gay guys who design clothes... not a transgendered child of their own.

We are here for you.

3. Bzrk

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks kasey.

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't be ashamed of who you are.

5. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

@ Bzrk My dad doesn't believe in bisexuals, he's always saying they're lesbians who can't choose a side, or straight girls who want an adventure. Just keep in mind that parents come from a different generation.

@Kasey to add something, when my dad found out i bought panties for my MtF girlfriend, he kept singing "walkin' round in woman's underwear" (to the tune of winter wonderland). Transphobic much?

Good luck to the both of you.

6. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My dad might be accepting over time but my mom so wants grandkids (I would too, mine or adopting). Whatever though. It used to never hurt my feelings or offend me before but I realize what it means to use gay in a disparaging way.

Sadly I still have to force myself to not say "oh that's gay" due to life long indoctrination...

I'm getting better fighting instinct.

7. Drago2012

I think you have it easy. I remember when I was in my early teens, my dad and grandpa talking about gay parades and their conversation would normally be about how they should round them up and shoot them all. So I grew up pretty terrified of my dad finding out about me.

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh man if some of my uncles and grandfather(Rest his soul) knew I was transgendered they would flip out. Hella blind old school conservative.

But my parents always loved me and I never really discovered myself until recently.