1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Social capital as a concept

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Tightrope, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi:

My therapist used this term in the last session. We nodded, as I contextually had an idea what this meant.

What is social capital to you? How does it affect socialization in school and work, or functioning in those environments? Is it popularity, conformity, or both? Do you think it correlates to positive or negative life experiences?

First time I had heard the term. I had heard social value theory, but I don't think that pertains to psychology, but more so to economics. I'm not sure, though.

2. Simple Thoughts

What is Social capital? I'm unfamiliar with this term and currently too lazy for a google search :slight_smile:

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is the idea of social networks and relationships have some sort of value.

How much social capital you have is like... "How much money do you have to invest in relationships"? (I'm not talking literal money but using an analogy).

I'm not a sociologist or economist but that's the little bit I know. I would defer to anyone else in this matter.

Slight tangent : it's like you get stronger through social links in persona. But you only have finite time to do so, which is a resource. Ah if you haven't played they game you might fail to see my analogy in this one.

4. Simple Thoughts

I totally know what you're talking about xD

Makes sense, but I don't like the idea of putting relationships and social connections into a monetary value system. Placing values on things is the first step in stripping them of value completely.

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I totally agree with you, but it's just an analogy.

Social interaction and friendships are priceless, but time to devote to them isn't infinite. Basically, be a wise investor I guess.

6. Simple Thoughts

Time management with friends?

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "social capital" is, I think, different things to different people, but as I see it, it basically it has to do with your acceptance, or belonging, to a given group. Someone who's super popular and has a lot of genuine friends might have a lot of social capital. But so might someone who has only a couple of close but very trustworthy friends.

Social capital can also be thought of as something that grants you the right to take risks. For example, someone with a lot of social capital will find it easier to come out, because the idea is, they are so widely recognized and appreciated within their social circle that being gay won't affect them, while someone who doesn't have many friends, and is more of a social outcast may find it more difficult to come out, because there's less there for others to see them in a positive light, so coming out may be a more negative experience for them.

My interpretation. Not intended as definitive :slight_smile:

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Chip, I like your definition as well. I'm still trying to build social capital to come out.

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think this dovetails what it means in a scholastic or work setting, at least in the context in which I've heard it used.

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well social capital or social wealth, is essentially reputation which is an asset. For example, if you are known for doing good work, this does eventually translate or get "monetized" (hate that expression) into future work, and possibly work of higher value.

Social capital also involves influence, power if you will, in its myriad forms.

The strict definition of an asset (from my MBA accounting course) is: "probable future economic benefits obtained or controlled by a particular entity as a result of past transactions or events".

This pretty much summarizes how social capital is built (past transactions or events) and what the benefits can be that accrue from said past transactions or events, i.e. reputation.

This is why slander is such a serious crime, if someone slanders you, it affects your reputation and the bottom line, which can be redressed by monetary compensation through the courts and other measures to redeem your reputation (public apologies, etc.)

11. DesertTortoise

Othello: Act 2, scene 3 Cassio and Iago dispute the merits of 'social capital'... reputation.

12. burg

it is the expected value gained by a social interaction either in a negative form or a positive one.
    a example of positive social capital would be making a friend a cake.when we act in this manner we expect that we gain future social capital in forms like friends helping us with finding work.invited to parties etc.a example of its negative form would be stealing from people with a chance of getting busted by our peers.the negative capital would be loss of trust etc.

it is part of economics to .one form i remember was a study done on people who drink on fridays finding it easier to find work.the relationship (causality) being drinkers meet more people who can help them find work.

13. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I see what you are saying. You can also have a reputation for good work (value, capital, or an asset) and the perception that you may not be able to be a "rainmaker" (neutral, no value added, or even a liability). In such cases, competence may be cancelled by a lack of influence.