1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

touchy feely coworker is annoying me

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by stocking, Dec 29, 2013.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think my coworker likes me but i don't like him back , I only like this person as a friend but
    they always sneak up on me always ask to rest their head on my tummy and even one time , they don't care if i drank out of something and even drank out of the same glass . i think it's my fault because this guy my think i like them back because i'm always nice to them and some times i use to let them sit in my lap but it was only when they said they were tried , so i didn't mind but lately they are always asking to do this and it gets annoying and i personally don't like this person touch me . One time they almost touched me on my chest and i moved their hand away before they could and told them don't touch me there because that's where my breast were and he laughed and touch my stomach saying is this your breasts . I think he clearly new where he was gonna touch before. But something about them makes me uncomfortable after that whole incident and i just don't like them touching me at all and when i tell them not to touch me or get upset if they do they make fun of me for getting upset . And i'm wondering if their doing this because they might think i like them back so they think it's ok to touch me when it's not

2. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Seriously? Wow - trying to figure out in which work situation would resting one's head on a coworker's tummy or sitting in her lap would pass as an every day event. Are you doing quality control for Twister mats? :icon_wink

Reading the title I thought he was one of those guys who hugs a bit much, or puts his hand on your shoulder as he comes over to talk to you about something. But the examples in your post sound like way over the line, could probably be considered sexual harassment, and even if you both didn't mind, would be awkward for the rest of your coworkers to witness. I'd tell him in a nice tone that his behaviour is something you don't find acceptable, for yourself and in the workplace.

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    i did but he doesn't listen

4. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What is your employer's policy on these things? Can you talk to someone in HR, without filing a formal complaint at first, just to get some advice on how to deal with this type of behaviour from an unnamed co-worker? Also check websites of whatever government department has jurisdiction in your location.

You may have to tell buddy that's the next step if he doesn't stop right away. Does he do this when other people are present or only when you're alone with him? You may have better chances with witnesses if it comes down to a formal complaint...

5. lovely lesbian

Is he is doing this because your nice to him? I'm guessing he doesn't know your gay? Seeing as he thinks that you like him too tricky I would just say I'm not into like that you don't need to tell him you're gay unless u want to.

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    He does this only when we are alone but he will hug me in public . I hadn't told another coworker but i have told the higher ups at work and they did nothing .
    He doesn't know i'm gay and he's very homophobic towards lesbians.

7. toushirojaylee

You better do something about it before it gets worse. This is one of the reasons why we fight (ex). She's always being nice to guy coworkers up to the point that they assume she liked them back. We always fight about that. Tell them that you are not comfortable with them touching you. Let them respect you.

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sounds like borderline sexual harassment in the workplace.

Correction, that IS sexual harassment from what I'm reading. Talk to human resources or something. Ombudsman or union rep or someone. Don't tolerate this.

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I feel bad i let it get to far like this

10. MightNeedThis

Don't feel bad! Remember, it takes two to tango.

11. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly, now it's time for the dance to end.

12. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Talk to HR. Some guys take kindness as flirting, he could be innocently pursuing you thinking you're playing hard to get. Explain to HR or your employer.

13. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I will because this needs to stop

14. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

I mean there may be a good chance that he's blissfully unaware of the discomfort he's causing you being harassment. I mean if both of you can leave the situation without any trouble, it's a win-win.

15. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah I would like that