1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does self-confidence feel like?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Sitri, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Sitri

I have low self-esteem. Shocker, huh? Anyway, I have always had low self esteem. I can quite clearly remember an event when I was six where I refused to go to a party because I was worried what people would think of me (even though I already knew everybody there). The point is, the idea of feeling good about oneself is an alien concept to me. I don't understand how somebody can unironically so "I'm awesome!" It just doesn't make any sense. So to those that posses this quasimystical feeling, tell me what it is like.

#1 Sitri, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have my moments but it comes and goes. There are some areas where I have more self-confidence than others. I really wish I had more, and I'm going to start seeing a therapist to try and help me get it.

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Happy with yourself. Feeling like you made the right choices. Proud of yourself. Feeling accomplished

Most importantly, feeling like you can bounce back from failure.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't say it feels like being awesome; that's more like hubris. Self confidence though is feeling comfortable. You are able to trust your heart and know that what you're doing is right and reasonable. You can walk into a room full of people, express your opinion, and know that people respect you. Better yet, if they DON'T respect you, it's the understanding that it's a problem with them and not with you.

^^That lowest point must be tread carefully, because it can easily become runaway arrogance and stupidity. But in few words, self confidence feels like security. :slight_smile: Oh, and Kasey is absolutely right about the ability to bounce back from failure. Huge bullet point there.