1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mom wants to eat at chick fil a

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by stocking, Dec 31, 2013.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My family are in the south for the first time for new years and my mom saw a chick fil a restaurant she said she always wanted to try the food there . The problem is I don't ever since i heard that they don't support lgbt people i decided that i will never eat there but my mom wants to go but i'm planning on not eating anything even if we go because i'm not gonna support places or companies that discriminate against people like me
    What should i do to get out of this one because i know my mom would force me to eat the food and she might realize why i'm not eating it too

2. Hopefilled

Good Post. Tell your mother the owner's bigotry kills your appetite. And that you feel it dishonorable to support him.Compliment your mom on raising you to be honorable:> Might work?

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    She doesn't know i'm lesbian

4. photoguy93

I gave up on not eating there. I don't do it often, and I don't love it, but in the grand scheme of things, I couldn't avoid it. If you end up eating there, you won't go to hell...you're going to be fine! Suggest other places, but if it causes an issue....don't worry about it.

5. Aldrick

Just because you support LGBT rights doesn't automatically mark you as a lesbian. There are lots of straight allies out there, and as a result you can be supportive without coming out.

You can even talk about some of your gay friends, and how it would be a betrayal of them if you want - this makes it about OTHER people (that you're supporting) rather than the fact that you're standing up for yourself as well. And even if you don't have any gay friends in person, it's not technically a lie - you could be talking about us. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Finally, your mother can't force you to eat anything. Even if she bought it for you and sat it in front of you, then it's pretty clear - after you've explained your position - that she's not accepting your choices. At that point it would make sense to make a statement by taking the food she's given to you and simply throwing it in the trash.

That probably won't make her happy, but at least you'd be acting in accord with your values and can hold your head high as a result. You are your own person, and you're an adult. You don't have to do what your mother tells you to do any more.

6. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    These guys nailed it. Your choices are either tell her you support the LGBT community and refuse to eat it, or eat it.

Personally I'd probably eat it, but that's up to you...

7. biggayguy

If you do end up eating there you could leave a comment in the comment box. Let them know you don't like their unfair policies.

8. Bear101

Actually, as a chain, they've changed many of their policies. In fact, one of their leaders has been meeting regularly with a LGBT leader trying to understand the issues a bit more. I'm on my ipad, so I'll try to find a link later and post it when I'm on my laptop.

9. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I still eat there sometimes. Some may argue that I'm "supporting" them by buying their food, but I just want a damn chicken sandwich that tastes decent. Plus, the people are always nice to me, even if it's fake, lol.

As for your situation, just tell your mom you don't want Chic-fil-A. If she tries to make you eat it, then tell her she wasted her money and refuse to eat. I highly doubt she'll assume you're a lesbian for not eating it, unless she's already been wondering.

10. Bear101

11. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tell her Whataburger is even better. :slight_smile:

But to be serious, just say something like you'd rather eat somewhere else (What I did when my family was down south and wanted Chick-fil-a) and we went to Whataburger and it was so good. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Their food isn't bad, and or a fast food chain, that's a high compliment.
    If you really don't want it, just tell your mom that you want something else.
    Yelp, anyone?

13. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I told her and my dad i was too full from eating to much candy and they left me alone and did not force me to eat it after awhile .

14. Goodnyte

At least you didn't have to eat it. You could have told her they soak their chicken in pickle juice (which they do) and it disgusts you.

15. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That's a good one

16. willycubed28

There is nothing wrong with not eating at chick fila just like there is nothing wrong with eating at chick fila. Yes, once I heard they do not support the LGBT community I did not eat there for the longest, but I came to a point where I had to realize that I wanted a chicken sandwich and chick fila is the best when it comes to that, or at least to me. So I went and ate at chick fila, and I am gay. Now does that mean that I do not support my own community? It does not mean that. It just means I wanted chick fila.

17. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have this nefarious plot in my head in which I go to every Chick-fil-A in the area and steal all their honey mustard sauce (which I love) but don't order anything. That way, I still get their honey mustard sauce but they actually lose money on me taking it all without paying for food.

Seriously though I just don't go there and make it clear why, even to people I'm not out to.

18. deadmau5ftw

I know what you're feeling. My friends always want to go every friday on our lunch period. They know I support LGBT people (but they don't know i'm gay). I am not the biggest fan of Christians either. If I were in your shoes, next time, just say you are not hungry. I am not proud to eat there with my friends, but they are super homophobic and they are always saying "what if he/she is gay?? GROSS!!" So I cannot raise suspicion