1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Growing up.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by thedudeabides, Jan 1, 2014.

1. thedudeabides

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I'm a 26 year old adult. I've been at the same job for 6 years have advanced a little and earned the respect of my team (i'm a front end manager at large retailer in the us not the largest though lol). Now here's the problem, I still like to have a good time I drink when I can smoke pot every once and while and generally let loose from time to time. I always show up for my shifts at work sober and ready for the day though. Is this acceptable? My credit is less then perfect but i'm working on it and I'm single. I keep hearing from friends, family and others how I'm self destructive and need to grow up. I'm willing to accept this if i thought it was actually a problem, but you can ask any of my co-workers and they will tell you I'm reliable always on time and hard working. As long as i'm not letting these interfere with my work I should be ok right? Most of my friends I grew up with are getting maried, having children and so on, right now I don't feel the need, maybe in 6 years. So what qualifies you as a functioning adult? Would love to here some of your answers. Also feel to give me crap if you feels it's warranted.

2. girlonfire

Um...everyone drinks once and a while, but the pot? Chances are you'll get addicted and then move on to something worse. A lot of heroin addicts started off "just doing pot..." I wouldn't really recommend that. At all. But, I mean, your life, not mine...

3. biggayguy

My uncle was a very good meat cutter for a large grocery chain. He was always on time to work and always came to work sober. He was also an alcoholic. When he didn't have to work he was drinking. His drinking cost him his marriage and time with his kids. If you don't have those things to worry about then it's your life. The only thing I would be concerned about is your liver.

4. thedudeabides

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have been smoking weed since I got out of high school and never actually equated it with negativity, I mainly just use it to unwind after a hard day put some netflix on get stoned and watch a movie. I never do it before work or when going out. I certainly don't want to advocate it, but for me it works. I grew up with a family full of meth addicts so this is as far as I will take it, i'v seen what harder drugs have done to friends and family and will not go there. I don't drink everyday, maybe twice a week and only with other people. My dad was an alcoholic as well as my step dad, I'm not going to repeat that. I do like letting lose with some friends when i have a day off the next day though. and that's the extent.

#4 thedudeabides, Jan 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  5. timo

Actually... no. Alcohol is one of the worst and most addictive drugs. The only reason everyone (including myself) is so laidback about it is because we're used to it, but if it was illegal now it would never be allowed because of all the risks it has. Cannabis is less damaging, if I'm right.

OP: As long as your habits don't affect your (professional) life, you should be okay. I mean, everyone needs some fun every now and then, don't they :slight_smile: Just don't overdo it.

I don't plan to stop using alcohol and other drugs after graduating (in 6 months) and finding a full time job. I'd probably use it less frequent, but I won't completely quit. It's too much fun :grin:

#5 timo, Jan 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  6. BudderMC

For me, "growing up" is related to maturity and self-improvement. From what I can tell, once you're out of school it seems pretty easy to just find a job and stay stagnant in your life, since school is relatively structured regarding self-progress, whereas the real world isn't.

Being an adult, to me, would mean that despite the fact one would be lacking direction after finishing whatever level of schooling they've done, still have some idea of goals or steps in mind on what they'd like to do with their life. For me, it's the difference between being self-sustaining and looking for self-growth.

7. Data

Data Guest

I highly disagree.

In my opinion, marijuana is much less addicting or harmful then alcohol. The idea that marijuana will lead someone to heroin also doesn't sit well with me. I don't see the gateway drug explanation being concrete. I dislike marijuana in fact. I was introduced straight to oxycodone as a result of my motorcycle accident, and I have yet to put a needle in my arm. It's about moderation and personality.

As for the OP, everyone needs to cut loose every now and then. I think you're fine as long as you mostly work and function, and only cut loose occasionally. If you start drinking most of the time and working only when you want to or you're constantly hung over/drunk at work you have an issue.

Nobody NEEDS drugs to get through life, but they make the ride a little less bumpy every now and then.

8. thedudeabides

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Budder, that's an excellent thought. At my current job i'm always looking to promote but that's not looking great because i don't have a degree. So I came to the conclusion that's going to have to be my next step I just want a 4 year degree for the time being, but at some point i'm going to need a higher paying job.

9. sanguine

Well if you put it biologically, I think the definition states all animals are defined as 'adults' when they can sufficiently hunt and gather for themselves.

So technically in our society everyone would still be considered children cause most of us cant do that.

But I think you can draw some parallels, personally I agree with BudderMC with the maturity thing, but overall I think this adult thing is just a legal stance thing, to be an 'adult' is to have conscious reasoning.

I think when your parents say that you're self destructive is because they dont like something your doing and they compare that to what they think a proper adult should be doing right? because how can smoking pot, drinking and having some bad credit be of conscious reasoning?

Everyone lives a different life, the more independent the better, that way, you wont be so bothered by what your parents are saying, or hopefully because you're doing it because you genuinely want to do it and not because you wanted to belong so badly.

10. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always thought it being this way:

Legally (and sometimes scientifically), an adult is someone 21 or over.

Socially, an adult is someone who can stand their full ground, is completely responsible, respectful and reliable and thinks rationally. They also strive to push towards the changing future with every day.

Neither of the above applies to me. I may try and think as rationally as possible, but when it comes to responsibility, I'm a total mess. And I think that's a big part of being an adult.

11. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At 26 it is easy to tolerate the little physical insults these substances visit upon you, but right around age 30 is when the candle that's been burning at both ends starts to look a little short...ashes start to gather a little.

This is also part of growing up.

12. biggayguy

BTW, my uncle died from lung cancer at 44. He was a chain smoker.

13. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was fortunate enough to train at a substance misuse organisation last year, and in doing so I spent half the year interacting with service users on a daily basis who were at all different stages of recovery (from those who didn't accept they had any dependency all the way up to those who had been abstinent for a decade or more).

Firstly, being able to maintain social responsibilities isn't an accurate measurement of unhealthy behaviour. Those who find it difficult to maintain responsibilities are usually in much later stages of addiction, whereas those who have a dependency on a substance of choice (whether it be physical, psychological or a combination of the two) are usually able to keep up appearances.

Secondly, don't get taken in by the agenda-driven distractions that people inject into these sorts of issues. There's far too many occasions when I've seen support and advice reduced to people arguing that x drug is a gateway to y drug, or B drug should be legalised because it causes less harm than C drug. Sure, they're interesting social conversations to have, but the frequency that they become a point of focus in support-related issues is nothing more than a distraction fuelled by people with certain moral viewpoints.

The reality of the situation is that you're the best person to know whether it's a problem for you. There are numerous physical and psychological dangers that you face by regularly consuming pot, and a big warning sign that you may have a psychological dependency on it is that you present it as something you need as a way to 'let loose'. People achieve this in all sorts of ways, from recreational hobbies to going down the local pub and consuming alcohol (i.e. a legal substance), so what you're doing isn't automatically a sign of addiction. If, however, you feel that without it your mental well-being would be negatively affected then that's a sign that your relationship with it isn't healthy, and that it's a behaviour that could easily spiral into more complex levels of dependency.

The best questions to ask yourself is what originally led to you taking pot, and how has your relationship with it changed over the years? Furthermore, if you were to give it up or reduce, what do you perceive would be the positive and negative changes to your life? The key to your concerns is within your own understanding of your behaviour and not being afraid to identify patterns which may worry you, which I suspect may be at play to some extent if you're taking the time to enquire on here.

As interesting as societal discourse is surrounding pot and substances in general, it won't help you understand your own problems and I would recommend not allowing it to influence how you approach the situation. Moral politics has no place in helping us understand our health, so the arguments about substances that your family may have (albeit with the best intentions) won't do much to help you remain objective when assessing your own behaviour and the potential problems within that. Whether pot is the most addictive substance in the world or the least addictive substance you can take, it's irrelevant if your relationship with it is seemingly unhealthy and puts you in danger, as is having that relationship with anything.

So yeah, only you can provide the answers to help you understand your situation. There'll be no shortage of people willing to give you their moral opinions on what you're doing, but only you'll know what effect the behaviour is having on your life. The key is to remain objective and aware, rather than burying your head in the sand as a way of coping with unhealthy patterns of behaviour.

Martin.

14. thedudeabides

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Martin, excellent response. Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. I do worry about myself especially since substance abuse does run in my family. Originally I started doing both out of peer pressure now it is different, I drink to spend time with my friends and I smoke pot to relax. I did an experiment for a month to see if I could quite both and did fine. As of right now I feel OK with the substances but this could change.

I recently went to a therapist because of the depression my sexual orientation brought me. As well as a kind of mini panic attack. I was just upset with peoples views of me and couldn't understand why no one was really honest with me. He called it a identity crisis or I guess some would call it an existential crisis. I brought up the substances then and he didn't really seem to think I had a problem. All in all he help me a lot even though my health insurance only paid for three visits.

All in all i just want to do the right thing, and try to be happy and if these substances are in fact holding me back, I want to address the issue.

Again thanks for the responses from everyone. Also sorry if this was more a support question saw was moved and appreciate the correction.

15. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like you have a pretty strong understanding of your situation then, which is fantastic. Based on what you've said there's just a couple of points I'd like to expand upon for you to also consider.

Firstly, I would be wary by the fact that you've indicated that you have had depression recently, as it is mental health issues such as them which can be a major trigger for addictive behaviours developing. It's what we commonly refer to in the substance misuse field as a dual diagnosis (i.e. a dependency and diagnosed mental health condition existing concurrently), and it's particularly problematic for people who take drugs containing psychoactive properties, such as Cannabis.

It's extremely common for people to have a dependency on a substance due to a breakdown in their emotions and mood, and the relationship with their substance then becomes something that they need as a form of medication to give them that 'buzz' of happiness and calm that they don't get from being abstinent/sober. Sadly, those with a dual diagnosis are one of the most at-risk groups for having the strongest signs of dependency, so it's vital that you stay constantly aware of the context that you're using any substance (whether it legal or illegal). If you take pot recreationally as a way to relax then that's relatively low-risk, whereas if taking it is the only way you know how to feel relaxed and happy then that's when your psychological dependency has overstepped the line and it does become an issue for you. There is, after all, a massive difference in me going down the local pub for a few drinks, and me spending my day at work thinking about when I can get my next drink because I'm feeling a bit crap or emotionally unfulfilled and need that nice buzz it gives off. In the latter case, it's self-medicating and not recreational.

Secondly, I wouldn't necessarily conclude that your past experiment of going cold turkey is evidence of there being no dependency. I'm certainly not implying that you are dependent, but merely that it isn't an accurate test for a drug that has no physical signs of addiction. If you were using a drug such as heroin then that would give you fairly strong signs of addiction when taking the 'test', whereas drugs like cannabis can be stopped without physical symptoms being present. What impact it had on your mental health and emotions would be a good way of measuring your psychological dependency. If you found very little changed and that you were able to 'let loose' just as easily without it then that's a great sign, whereas if you were able to stop using it but felt unfulfilled and that something important was missing from your relaxing routine then that becomes a worrying sign of a developing dependency, even if you don't feel any urges to take it. At that point it's not something that you are doing recreationally, but something you've developed a reliance on in order to achieve an artificial state of healthy emotion and mood.

As I said above, you're the best person to understand your situation. I certainly can't rule out that you may not have any underlying dependency on it simply because there are risk factors identified in your posts which can easily push behaviour beyond recreation and into routine. However, the awareness that you have and your willingness to confront problems will be an excellent tool in helping you understand your relationship with the drug. The whole idea that certain drugs are a gateway to more intense drugs is nothing more than a hypothesis, and research used to demonstrate this tends to be something along the lines of "x% of heroin users initially took cannabis. Therefore, cannabis is a gateway drug.". The part they don't tell you is that those x% started taking drugs because they had Y and Z as significant life events that make them feel like shit, and it's those unresolved emotional problems that are the catalyst and motivator for their progression of self-medicating. The whole 'gateway' issue is no more evidenced than saying that having sugary products as a teenager causes people to then consume alcohol. Sure, I'd easily be able to develop statistics outlining a link between the two, but emotionally there's probably very little connection that the two share within consumptive patterns.

If you're fortunate enough to live in an urban area then there may be a local organisation that provides resources for substance misuse, so I would definetly recommend checking in with them at some point in the future *if* you felt you needed to. Many people (including myself this time last year) have the perception that those places will be populated by stereotypical junkies, but a lot of the time you meet people with established careers in medicine, social work, teaching etc, and many who have retired and felt lonely as a result of it. I'm certainly not saying you need to access it, but they'd certainly be the best people to speak to for any information or questions you may have. Finally, if you ever did want to give it up then I would strongly recommend not going cold turkey without either speaking to somebody at a specialised organisation or your GP, regardless of whether the drug is taken recreationally or as something you may be dependent on.

Martin.