1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling a bit down on my birthday

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by charlavail, Jan 2, 2014.

1. charlavail

Out Status:
    All but family
    Today is my birthday (I'm 19) and I'm not feeling it at all. I was really excited, I have plans to have people over that I haven't really seen in 4 months since moving away to college, and we were going to bake my cake and just chill out. But now I'm not too sure.

I'm kind of sad that none of my college "friends" remembered today was my birthday, when I pretty much remember all of theirs, and they remember theirs as well, making it a big deal when we are at college. Someone else had their birthday on a break and it was this huge celebration when we got back, and everyone was texting her Happy Birthday.

Also sad about a bunch of other things, about being alone, family problems, being closeted to my family, the fact that I feel super old even though I'm still only 19, etc. I don't know what to do. I confided in one of my friends (I've known him for 8 years) and he says that he thinks I would feel better with those closest to me around me today. But I just feel like staying in bed and sleeping.

2. let me start by wishing ya happy b'day. :thumbsup:

I'm sorry to hear that about your friends. Maybe they got preoccupied with the recent holidays? Try not to take it too personally. I'm sure they haven't forgotten, you'll see!

As for the family issues I know it's not easy, especially when you are not out to them. Your friend is right though, just be around people you're closest with and enjoy yourself.. :slight_smile:

As for feeling alone and feeling old, why is that?

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Happy Birthday! Whatever you may think, you should know that just by being born, you have been a positive influence in the world.

Don't worry too much about your college friends; I have a lot of long time friends, most of whom I haven't seen in 7+ years, and they are often the ones who regularly send me birthday wishes and interact with me, at least on Facebook. Actually, I was really touched that three of those friends each offered to hang out with me.

I think the thing about college is that you're a professional student who is looking to get the education you need for a job, which in high school and before that, you had lots of extracurricular activities and time to spend with the same set of people over many years.

Don't stay in bed! I think I made a mistake in not taking up the offers from my high school friends in the interest of staying home with my parents, which was sometimes boring.