1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No dreams or hopes for the future?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Beware Of You, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Beware Of You

Every dream I have had has gone nowhere so I have given up having them.

I wanted to be a commercial pilot, got a Private License passed all my exams then found out that there is zero chance of getting funding for anything so I am thinking selling all my flying stuff, cancelling my license and throwing out my logbook, it was a dumb dream and I suck at flying so I don't care anymore

I wanted a family and kids (since I am an only child) and then I realised I am gay which makes it very unlikely that I would get that.

I hoped that I would find love, but that will never happen pretty sure that I am incapable of that

So I have given up

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whoa now. One thing at a time. First off never give up on a dream. You seemed like you are so sure about what you wanted to do. Why quit now?

Second. Being gay... Gay people adopt, is that a problem in Ireland? Or get a surrogate mother. Whatever. You can have a family.

I always feel alone, but love does come along, you just need to seize it when the opportunity arises. I'm currently in the process of going out with someone now and I never thought I would. Don't give up, but always be on the lookout.

Cheer up.

I do this often when I respond to threads like this. List 3 good qualities about yourself. I'll wait.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Umm, what? You love flying and got your pilot's license, but now you want to quit because of a perceived impossibility? Sorry if I sound harsh, but I want more than anything to fly, and I don't have my license. It's on life's back-burner at the moment, but I'll never give up trying. Never. If your ultimate dream in life isn't worth pursuing, what is?

And you'll have to excuse my ignorance in finding a job with an airline, but what place does funding have? If it's a necessary step to employment, there is a way of achieving it.

4. Beware Of You

Sadly it is

I honestly can't think of any

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok, well I'm sorry about adoption, but you need to still list the three things. Do it, not for me, but for you.

6. AKTodd

I'm not seeing what funding has to do with becoming a commercial pilot. Please explain. And where are you looking? Just in Ireland? All of Europe? Planet Earth?

We've touched on this before. It is perfectly possible for you to have kids. If being in Ireland is a problem, then move to somewhere where it isn't a problem. Or become socially active and work to get things changed in Ireland.

Well, there's the source of your problem right there.

Never give up. Ever. Or, if you do (after a long struggle), then aim to find something else that will get you close to what you wanted to do in the first place. You'd be surprised how often that works out.

Beyond that, I'd suggest keeping a sense of perspective. You are very young and still have a lot of time yet to achieve your dreams. And dreams (quite frankly and speaking from experience) don't generally just come to you on a silver platter. You have to work for them, you have to persist even in the face of adversity and failure. You have to be willing to go to Plan B if Plan A doesn't work out.

Todd

7. Beware Of You

You have to fund your own training, its like €50,000

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    50k, are you serious? :eusa_doh: That's insane. And no chance of getting grants/scholarships/student loans?

9. AKTodd

€50,000 is about $68,000 for those on this side of the pond. That's a substantial amount but probably not insurmountable. Given that the industry presumably needs an ongoing supply of pilots, there are probably mechanisms for paying for this, either the aforementioned grants/loans/etc or in installments or the like.

If you have a private pilots license, then you probably know some pilots, who know some pilots, etc. Perhaps you could talk to some commercial pilots about what the options are? Or talk to the school(s) you would receive the training from?

Todd

10. Julieno

I don't know if this is going to be helpful or not but I'll do myself. My best friend's brother is a also a pilot, he has the license but his problem is the same, he needs an insane amount of money to pay for his training. Right now he is working on different things, pays for hours of flight as often as he can and also gets some "free hours" getting short flies where he helps to carry engine-less planes (yeah he doesn't get a lot of flight time, but he is slowly getting there).

You will probably benefit from looking for jobs all over the world, thats what I did to get mine by then I was still in the closet and my chances of getting a job in Spain were laughtable. Use the internet, try to find a job to slowly pay for your training or even some unpaid pilot job.

Losing hope is never the answer you may want to start fresh somewhere else it may take you a long while to fulfill your dream, you may need to work in different things meanwhile but working hard is the way to get there.

Of course you can have a family and find love,you probably need to be really patient and get some stability before that (or it may be the other way around, who knows!) but wellthat gives you something to work for. I also want a fiily and I am gay too, you can adopt and take care of some child that would be abandoned otherwise, maybe not in Ireland but the workd is yours if you work for it.

Best wishes,xxx