1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to temporarily reduce the 'wanting' while not getting what is want

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Straight ally, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    Sometimes we have needs/urges that are not being appeased, and there is no inmediate way of meeting those needs...

In my case i want physical contact ( anything that goes from kissing to sex), but my question includes anything people want but cannot get in the moment, specialy those things that the more you want them the harder to get them. For example:

*I crave sexual contact, this produces frustration,desperation, anger, anxiety and lack of self steem, this makes you look desperate, unconfident, nervous, with usually turn off women.

*Someone wants to lose weight, not losing weight produces anxiety and stress, stress results in the production of certain substances that makes you phisically unhealthy, it also produces lack of self steem and certain lack of willpower and causes overeating, making the person fatter, thus the cicle gets worse.

There are other needs that dont include this cicle but still are problematic, anything that you want but cannot get inmediatly. Maybe you dont have money for an important surgery; maybe your boss is an asshole and there are not better jobs options yet; maybe you are in the closet,14years old, and your parents are extremely homophobic, so you have to wait till you graduate from school and college before getting into a relationship with someone of your same sex.

So my question is, in a case like those, how do you reduce temporarily your urge for something so you can be calmer, happier and go on with life?

I think answering this is very important for anyone in this site, and outside this site.

2. baby

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Prayer, most importantly. And also, find something that interests you and calms me down. I suffer from self harm, but something that can get my mind off of it is painting. Maybe for you its some form of art, or exercising like hiking, running, biking, swimming (which I also do), or listening to music while you read or draw. Just something to keep you occupied. You could even talk to someone on the phone or social media to get your mind off of tyhe things that frustrate you. Hope this helps

3. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
  4. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, I think stuff that can be effective includes being deadly serious/honest/realistic with yourself about what you're trying to do and how long it will take. For example, I'm trying to lose weight right now, and I started 6 months ago. I still have a very long way to go, but that's ok because I know that it's ridiculous to think for a moment that it wouldn't take a long time. I could get myself worked up about it rather easily, but why would I do that when it'll probably be another year of work before I get to a point I'm happy with? I know the timespan is a big one- I'm giving myself a year or two- so instead of worrying about it now I will allow myself to worry in a year or two, when I'll actually have a reason to :slight_smile:

Another thing is looking at how far you've come already, and breaking it down into steps. Just thinking to yourself "yeah, ok, there's a long way to go, but I did this and this which means I'm far ahead of where I was a year ago, and I'm a better person for that". Don't look at it as one journey or objective, break it down as much as you need. Things are a lot scarier when you perceive them as one giant thing on which everything rests, when it doesn't need to be like that.

Those were very goal-oriented, so it probably isn't so good for stuff like sexual attraction. I'd say a mix of distraction and telling yourself things will be better after the wait (with some glass-half-full thinking as well) might help, but as I said with some things like unrequited love or not enough money to pay for surgery they really are bastards to deal with!

5. TeePee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

6. thekillingmoon

Well, you cant stop wanting the things you want, you can, however, learn to deal with the stress that it creates for you. Yoga and meditation is good, helps you to relax. Doing things that you enjoy. Little things like that make life better. You can't always have what you want, but you can try to make the best out of what you have.

7. June Cleaver

well first off there's no reason you can't have a boyfriend because you are in school and still at home. I had my first boyfriend at age 12, and we carried on doing everything through graduation without our parents knowledge. After graduation we moved in together and he told my parents as he asked their permission for my hand. So nothing is impossible. June