1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hunter-gatherer - in today's society and settings?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Tightrope, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I once had a coworker I really liked. He was very philosophical but also very practical, so he was interesting to talk to. We got along very well.

He was once talking about someone at work I didn't like. Actually, nobody liked this exec. He was highly arrogant. This coworker then offered that this guy was more of a "hunter" and that I was more of a "gatherer" in our approaches to work. I thought about this. I know that this described societal functioning in an almost anthropological way.

He also offered that he thought I was a "chameleon" in a work setting. I think most people are. It's not as if everyone acts the same at work 100% of the time.

What do you think "hunter-gatherer" means today? And as it relates to work?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's just another way of saying people are Type-A vs. Type-B. A personalities (the hunters) are the assertive go-getters who might even step on people on their way to their goals. B personalities (the gatherers) would be more inclined to find a way that doesn't involve hurting or inconveniencing others, but often at the expense of effectiveness.

Naturally, corporations want Type-A people because they get results, and rarely do the top execs care about feelings unless it hurts profits. But with your example of saying hunters and gatherers, the Type-B people do have their place. Not all jobs require Gordon Gekko and Rambo.

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That sounds like a plausible explanation. However, I would definitely be a Type A, and will make noise when needed. I think that I preferred to lay low and involve myself in detail while this exec was flashy and hated detail. He was somehow able to set it aside and scale the ranks. The worst part was that he looked down on those who were detailed, in either their work, speech, or explanations.

I was assuming that gathering meant a cultivation of sorts. While the other person cultivated leads and was very superficial, I liked to cultivate a methodical and predictable work environment. How that translates into gathering is a little beyond me, but that was the major difference in the analogy. It's amazing how many people despised this exec because he wasn't effective at concealing he thought others were less than him. Fortunately, though, in his case, it was not rooted in someone's sexuality but how influential he perceived them to be.