1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wish I was straight? Why?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by bornthiswaybby, Jan 5, 2014.

1. bornthiswaybby

Hello :slight_smile:

I'm writing this because I'm concerned about the way I feel about myself, and I don't think this is normal...

I find myself often wishing I were straight, because life would seemingly be SO much easier, maybe I've grown up in a homophobic family and kind of traditional family.

I just don't understand why I feel this way because I know most gay people wouldn't change who they are, even if it would be easier. I don't know. I feel like I still haven't come to terms with being gay. Or I haven't accepted myself yet. I'm not sure how to feel more comfortable.

Sorry if this was really pointless and likely senseless, I just confused myself :lol:

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are not alone. There are many people here who wish they were straight. But, ultimately you have to learn to deal with it if you want to maintain your emotional and mental health.

I became comfortable once I did research and learned that not only is my sexuality something that I was born with but also the love I feel for men is just as real as straight people's love. I know at first I was more persuade by the claim of "unnaturalness" than any purely religion-based dictates, which I was frequently being exposed to as I grew up in a conservative area. Now the more I think about it, I believe that there must be a role for homosexuality since it hasn't been "weeded out" through millions of years of human evolution.

Once I became accepting of my sexuality (though still closeted), I chose to be celibate in a desperate attempt to not "sin", but I soon realized that even that was a negative influence on my mind. I became socially withdrawn because I was afraid of getting into situations where I had to act like a straight guy and fake interest in girls. I began to understand that sex is not just about "procreation" but a very intimate and physical way of showing love.

3. bornthiswaybby

I'm not too worried about sin, as I've looked into the bible and there are many rules that SO many people break, and never "repent" because they don't realize that they are sinning.

I'm confused about my religion but that's another long story haha!

I think my biggest issue is that I will have to deal with judgements of others, specifically my family, and how if I was straight I wouldn't have these problems.

But hey, someone's gotta do it! :grin:

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you were straight, you would have other problems like expectations to get married and settled, have children, etc.

5. bornthiswaybby

True, however I still feel the pressure to marry a woman and have children with her, family isn't the most accepting haha.

I'll get through it though, I'm in a better predicament than some people!

Thank you :slight_smile:

6. redskittle

redskittle Guest

I want to be straight to. Well you can say I'm kind of straight but I think it if you get bullied quite alot at school or something