1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't want to ruin this

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Sitri, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Sitri

Long ago, there was a man named Clark. He had a son, and this son's middle name was Clark. The son's eldest son also had the middle name of Clark. This pattern continued for some time, that the eldest son would carry the middle name Clark, and the current youngest Clark bearer is a boy, 17 years of age, known to some as Sitri.

I have no idea how long this tradition has been going. I know my great-great-grandfather's middle name was Clark, so at least since the American civil war. My grandfather thinks the original Clark was the one who brought my surname from England sometime in the mid 1600's.

It may seem silly, but I am afraid to kill this. I'm worried what will happen if I end up with a guy (which is fairly likely, as I think I'm about a 3.5-4 on the Kinsey scale). I couldn't have a son, and then this name I carry, which has lived continuously for hundreds of years, will die, and I don't want to be the one who ends it.

This may seem really stupid, but I am really worried about it.

#1 Sitri, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  2. Munyal

You can still have children through surrogacy, or adoption. You can name a son Clark if you want to. I also would like to say that it's neat you want to keep this tradition alive.

3. OhSOCurious

Just because you're with a guy does not mean you cannot have a son. Plenty of homosexual relationships have adoption. But do not feel pressured just because of a tradition. I'm not advising either, i'm enlightening you to the options you have and am telling you that you shouldn't feel conflicted because of a name.

Don't over think it :slight_smile: Cheer up. Start your own tradition :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. bornthiswaybby

I know the feeling. Back when I was closeted, my Dad told me he wanted to have a son so the family name (last name) could live on, since I'm the only person in the family who can continue it. Of course, I'm gay. I feel guilty and I've lived with this for a while, but you can't let something like that stop you from being happy.

Surrogacy is a great option for some people, I think you should look into it and think if it would be possible (of course for in the future, you're only 17 lol)

5. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can certainly adopt or have a child through a surrogate, as others have suggested. But that decision is a long way down the road for you.

6. Sitri

A-dop-tion? God, I'm thick. The thought never even crossed my mind. I was seriously thinking the only way people could have children was the classic. Wow.

Anyway, I definitely should not spend too much time thinking about this. I don't even want children. Of course, 80% of teenagers say the same thing so I'll probably change my mind in the future.