1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too old?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by jvn95, Jan 5, 2014.

1. jvn95

Hey guys, I met someone I really, really like.

But I think it is way too soon to say he is my boyfriend. I'm 18 and he is 23.

Is that too old?

It won't stop bugging me

2. baby

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, I think once you're 18 its legal to date someone over 18 also

3. bornthiswaybby

That's not too old at all :slight_smile:

I know of a famous Youtube couple who are 18 and 25, and nobody mentions it! 5 years is completely normal :slight_smile:

Plus, since you're 18 now, you are legal and can be with anyone you want! :slight_smile:

4. Mogget

I think it's definitely borderline. As a twenty-four year old I would feel very uncomfortable dating someone who was eighteen or nineteen simply because there is suc a huge gap in life experiences between my age and his. The early twenties are a major formative time in life and it's hard for me to imagine why someone who'd had that additional formation would want to date someone who hadn't.

5. Foster

It doesn't seem too old to me, but it's all about what you're comfortable with. Are you and this person on the same level of maturity? Is there a power struggle? Do you feel comfortable with the age gap? Your feelings are the only thing that matters :slight_smile:

6. MightNeedThis

I hope it's not too old, I was 18 and dating a 23 year old. As long as you're happy as a couple and as individuals, there isn't anything to worry about.

7. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that age shouldn't be a problem, it's whether the two of you are on the same level maturity-wise that you should be concerned about. If say, you are mostly concerned about things like school-room gossip and which famous person did what scandalous thing, while they are more preoccupied with car payments and paychecks, then the two of you might have problems. That of course being a hypothetical situation, but I hope it helps to explain what I am getting at. The fact that the two of you understand what the things concern the other is more important than age, unless one of you was underage.

A final note, ultimately you should go with what your heart and mind tell you.

8. As long as you're comfortable with it, age is just a number once you hit 18.

9. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Go for it. I wouldn't care if he was 40 I'd still say go for it. Age is just a number.

10. biggayguy

If you were still a minor he would be too old. Since you are eighteen it's not a huge difference.

11. RainbowMan

As Mogget points out, the difference in life experience between someone that is 18 and 23 years old is a lot. Someone who is 40 would have VASTLY different life experiences, and be at a completely different stage in their lives.

While technically legal, such a relationship would not be the epitome of a healthy relationship.

12. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes there are circumstances where such relationships can be unhealthy but mine is far from that and so are many others.

13. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One healthy relationship does not a pattern make, something we've been over, oh, about 10000000000 times, Dano.

While your relationship may be perfectly fine, the overall indicators are that such circumstances are rare, unusual, and well outside the norm. We've already been over all of this, you've acknowledged it, and it would be really, really cool if, every.single.time this issue is brought up, you didn't insist on bringing up your non-representative situation and using it to encourage others who, statistically, are far more likely to end up in an unhealthy relationship.

Again, I'm not bashing your relationship in particular (or that of the other members that always chime in defending their own relationships) I'm saying that those relationships are outliers, and that, on average, relationships with large age gaps are rarely healthy.

As to the OP's question and the specifics of this relationship between an 18 and 23 year old, it's at the cusp of what could work. The life experience differences between 18 and 23 are substantial, but the variation in life experience at those two ages is also fairly wide, so the possibility of a balanced relationship is there. I would suggest caution and thoughtfulness about the potential problems if you move forward.

14. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Chip I also said these relationships also can be unhealthy so can you be happy with that! I know these relationships have risks and can be very unhealthy so I somewhat agree with you on that! OMG.

Believe it or not I am tired of having these discussions with you too. Every time I comment in these discussions you fire right back so your just as guilty. If you don't like me or think I don't have a right to speak my mind than get my profile banned. or you can simply ignore me! Cause I am not gonna stupid and yes I love to challenge authority because I have emotionally victimized by them in school.

#14 dano218, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  15. jvn95

Oh geez don't do this please. ^^^^

But anyway, I feel like we are both mature. Honestly.

I feel comfortable and there is no sign of power struggle anywhere that I can see so far.

I will try this and see where it goes, if it doesn't it doesn't work am I right?

16. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I worry about this all the time even though i'm 25 I like some girls that are 18 or 19 but i feel like i'm taking advantage because i'm older so i then to go for 24 or older because i feel bad about liking someone younger than me

17. PalestrinaMX

Not at all. I prefer older guys than my age, just because they seem to be more stable/mature, but regardless of that, I wouldn't think there would be a problem.

18. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Then, with respect, quit posting about your outlier, non-typical situation every.fucking.time. the topic comes up. The difference is, I'm talking about facts based on data that I've previously quoted and you've acknowledged, and you're giving advice based on one non-typical experience. I basically have to post each time to counteract the bullshit you persist in perpetrating. When you stop generalizing one situation to everyone else's situation, I'll stop following up after you with facts that dispute your outlier experience.

19. Mzansi

I've seen this happening for quite a while and I felt I should just say:
    You're being as bad as him by effectively being closed to the Idea of people dating someone who is older than them,
    Although you claim to agree there are "Outliers" you don't give and grant them the respect they deserve,
    So why should they grant you any respect on your opinions?

Personally I would agree with you,
    The age difference is not preferable,
    And it can be indicators of something brewing under the calm sea,
    But you also like to say you've brought in "Facts",
    When all they are is a hodge podge of personal experiences,
    And VERY selective surveys,
    There are just as many that have advocated a relationship where one partner is older is just as successful as their counterparts.

I have met MANY couples who have big age differences and have managed to make it work,
    Would I advocate it?
    No,
    But do I now refer to someone elses experience as "bullshit",
    Of course not.

You've obviously seen such dynamics going down hill,
    Or maybe experienced it yourself,
    But just because thats how YOU view such a relationship,
    Doesn't mean it's correct in any way.

A relationship is unique,
    And dynamic,
    To try create a "rule" would be cutting out MANY outliers,
    Not just a few.

20. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
    Chip your right my opinion is not factual it's just personal. All I am telling the OP hey I am in one of these relationships and it works for me. Can we just agree to disagree. I am not a bad person I really just want it get along with everyone here and I feel I have the right to state my personal opinion and for it it be left at that! However I am gonna stop posting in these discussions because I am tired of feeling stupid.