1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving Out

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by OhSOCurious, Jan 5, 2014.

1. OhSOCurious

Hey. This may seem odd and I can already see the comments "You're to young to be on your own" "Don't rush it".

I just want to know if it's normal for me to want to live on my own even though I'm still in high school.

I have thought about it before as well. But my current job most likely wont pay for an apartment.
    I just really want to be independent for some reason and I'm also resenting myself for it.

My Questions:
    Should i be contemplating the move?
    What jobs could take up to support myself?
    How would I break it to my mom?
    Is it ok to worry that they won't let me take anything even if they say ok?

I'll update if I have more questions but I need help ._.

2. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's normal i wanted to move out since i was 14 i begged my parents to let me work even saved all my allowance at 13 to leave home my mom found my money and took it and never gave it back . Pretty much back at square one but still planning to leave .

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Should i be contemplating the move?

I guess that would depend on your reasons for doing so. "I really want to" isn't necessarily a bad reason, but unless you have the resources available, it's not going to be easy.

What jobs could take up to support myself?

If you're still in high school, it's gonna be difficult to find enough employment to keep the bills paid. It can easily lead to dropping out of school so you can work more, and that's a dangerous spot to be in. Better to sit tight and get the diploma (or GED, if things are desperate at home) before taking the plunge into independence.

And pretty much any living-away-from-home situation will involve a roommate or two or three. So your "independence" may not end up being as independent as all that.

How would I break it to my mom?

Logically. Rationally. With facts and figures, showing you have done your homework and proved that you can make this work. Not by screaming or crying or threatening.

Is it ok to worry that they won't let me take anything even if they say ok?

Sure, since technically, that's their call. If your parents are cool with you moving out, then yeah, they ideally will be cool with you taking your furniture and everything with you. (And, presumably, helping pay for the move, or helping you move it themselves.) But if they decide "Well, we sort of bought that computer for you to do your homework on" and tell you to leave it behind, you sorta have to.

Lex

4. Bibliophile

What you are thinking about is totally normal and Lexington as always has great advice so I suggest listening to it.
    My personal suggestion is save double to tripple above what you think you will need if you intend to do this because having moved A LOT I can tell you it always costs more then you think it will. Also that you will have a lot of little items you take for granted that you will find you forgot to buy upon move in.
    As for a job well I suggest a trade skill or the like that you can offer side work for as well as a regular job. That way if you cant find a steady second job you might have occasional supplemental income. Learning to make a lot of your own foods and how to do a lot with staples such as rice and flour are also handy ways to save money and eat healthier on your own.

5. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Both Lexington and Bibliophile have given good advice thus far.

In the event that your parent(s) say "No", or if you don't ask them -
    Try to show them that you're ready and responsible enough to move out on your own.

Start with baby steps - Keeping everything you own and everywhere you function clean and tidy - Bathroom, room, kitchen, etc.
    Take more financial responsibility for yourself.

Unless you show them that you are at least somewhat prepared, they most likely won't be supportive.

--

My experiences/thoughts about moving out:

I know the same desire to move out and move on with your life, but I am in the same boat as you.
    I have a high school diploma, so I can't get a job that I can sustain myself on while going to school still. I'm not a good cook - I'm working on this with my mom.
    I don't own my own car.
    Obviously, I am not ready to move out and support myself.

But!
    I'm taking advantage of the time that my parents will still support me while I go to college to get into the good habits required of you when you move out like: Cooking for yourself, paying your own rent, taking care of your cleaning, laundry, car, finances, etc.

My words of advice: Take advantage of all of the resources and people you have around you right NOW to best prepare yourself for moving out LATER.
    Even if you don't move out soon, they are skills you will need for the future.

6. Capsaicin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good advice has already been given, but I'll add that it's a perfectly understandable thing to want. The teenage years are when we're seeking out more space, autonomy, and privacy after childhood, and that's exactly what our own place offers.