1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Always afraid something bad is going to happen.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Stridenttube, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

I'm always afraid something bad is going to happen to me. Like when life is going good that something and will mess it up because it's too good to be true. I keep playing these horrible scenarios in my head. I feel like if I don't do certain things in a certain way that it will cause something horrible to happen that will ruin my life forever. Lately it seems like Things that have been on my mind in advanced have actually happened later. This scares me more as I feel like that whatever I'm afraid of happening will actually happen. It's gotten worse lately to the point where I can't hardly function.

I really want to dismiss everything as paranoia and anxiety but I can't seem to convince myself of that.

2. AKTodd

This isn't intended to belittle your fears, but to hopefully help dispel them.

If you are constantly thinking about what could happen, particularly if you're trying to 'cover all the bases' and think about many possibilities - simple statistics says that at least one of those things is probably going to happen. Not because you thought about it but just because sometimes something is going to happen and that happened to be one of the things you thought about. Confirmation bias may also play a role here - you notice the things that happen that you thought about and don't notice or discount the things that happen that you didn't think about.

I obviously can't predict the future (sorry!), but I'm confident that even if something bad were to happen (because bad things happen to all of us from time to time) that you have the strength and the will to overcome it. And if you need someone to lean on in that circumstance, I and everyone else here are ready to provide whatever support we can.

Stay strong dude and try not to worry - we're all here for you. (*hug*):thumbsup:(*hug*)

Todd

3. Mogget

One of my favorite adages is "you can't be reasoned out of a position you weren't reasoned into." It applies here. For those of us who experience anxiety, knowing that our anxiety has little to no basis in reality is often not enough to dissipate it. Long-term management of anxiety requires therapy or a similarly intensive effort that I can't help you with.

Short-term, you can learn to manage your anxiety with grounding, the art of returning your focus from your thoughts and emotions to the present moment. I've talked about it at length here.

4. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

But its always crazy stuff. I know its part of my OCD causing it. But its like I'm thinking I'm going to get cancer or lose my legs or that something terrible will happen to my future boyfriend and ill be left heartbroken. Its always the worst things possible and at many times I actually think its going to happen, like I can feel it, like I know its going to happen. The past 6 months have been the best time of my life and I just feel like its too good to be true. Its driving me nuts and I just want to enjoy what I have. I just want to be happy and without worry. :frowning2:

5. AKTodd

If it really is 'crazy stuff' and you know it is, could you just sort of tell yourself to stop and remind yourself that what you're imagining is HIGHLY unlikely? We generally don't know what the future is going to bring. So logically you can't 'know' that any particular bad thing is going to happen (at least in most cases).

If these fears are coming out of your OCD (as if you've been formally diagnosed) it may require professional help to deal with them.

Todd

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Brené Brown talks about what you're describing extensively in her TED talk "The Price of Invulnerability." It's called foreboding joy, and it's essentially a numbing function. By taking situations and, essentially, preparing ourselves in advance for any sort of difficulty that could arise, we're attempting (unconsciously) to anticipate and minimize the discomfort or grief or other unpleasant feeling that might happen. And it really sucks because when we forebode joy by trying to minimize fear or grief, we also prevent ourselves from being able to experience joy.

Most of the time, we do that because we've had a lot of disappointment, so it's a learned behavior to make it hurt less. Things like "Oh, I'd like to get this new job, but I won't be really upset if I don't", or "Well, i met this guy and he's really cute and I'm hopeful, but if it doesn't work out, that's OK" keep us from feeling genuine excitement and anticipation, and from experiencing the joy full on... and, while they succeed in numbing the pain, it comes at a very high cost.

Then, when you add foreboding joy to the biochemical interactions that are going on with OCD, you have a situation is even more amplified. There's an excellent book called "Brain Lock" by Jonathan Schawartz MD, who has been researching and focusing on OCD for many years. His approach is mostly cognitive, but has shown remarkable effect... and as a byproduct of practicing his techniques for OCD, you can also use them to work on letting yourself be more vulnerable (open) to true feelings.

Generally, when you're dealing with a combination of foreboding joy and OCD, simply trying to tell yourself that things are unlikely will probably not be a very effective strategy, because of the mechanism/reason why the foreboding is happening in the first place.

Separate from Schwartz' OCD strategy, the strategy that generally works the best in dealing with the OCD, according to the research, is to identify the places and circumstances where you are most likely to come up with the foreboding thoughts, and simply recognize that what you are doing is a foreboding behavior, and then make the conscious choice to change how you are experiencing the situation in that moment; for example (using the scenarios I described above), by allowing yourself to get excited about the possibility of having the job, imagining what it would feel like to have it, and so forth. The downside is that it won't numb the negative feelings if you don't get the job, but that's a part of being human and living in the world. The upside is that you will be able to live more fully and be more emotionally available to yourself and others around you... and, as a byproduct, it will likely reduce some of the symptoms of the OCD as well, particularly if you combine it with the exercises in Brain Lock.

This is a very solvable problem.