1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Life and a career?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Absol, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    To start, ever since I graduated from high school, I've struggled trying to decided on a career. I've went from Herpetologist to video game designer, and nothing has worked out. After going to a community college for 3 years and having nothing to show for it, I decided to take a year off to try to figure things out. In that year, well, I didn't figure anything out and when the time to sign up for classes came, I pressured myself into picking something and as you can guess, it didn't work out. So here I am, almost twenty-five years old and I've done nothing with my life. This has caused me to fall into a deep depression accompanied by some suicidal thoughts; I've never felt this bad in my entire life. Just so many opportunities wasted and chances missed...

There is a silver lining, though. I think I might have an ideal for what I want to do and it's that I want to be a writer, to be more specific, I want to write a novel. Writing has always been my strongest feature, but as silly as it sounds, I didn't know what I want to do with it and I took it more as a hobby, but it's something I truly love. I do have several ideals and I'm thinking about swinging them by a really good friend(he's actually the first person I came out to) of mine, who is a successful playwright, and see what he thinks.

Now why have I told you this? Well, I sort of want to know if I'm being realistic and if I can really do this, or if I'm just setting myself for failure once again? Being a writer isn't a concrete profession and it takes a lot of sacrifices, but I honestly have very little sacrifice. So what do you think?

#1 Absol, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  2. sanguine

you're on the right track :thumbsup:

its good even if its not a 'concrete' passion, it gives you something to do and look forward to, it moves you forward if you know what I mean, rather than dwelling on a problem.

its the first step that begins a trigger of events that is your life!

and dont be too down about the career path, hopefully you would have met great people who believe in your future.

OH and with the stories, I wouldnt mind if you shared your ideas with me :slight_smile: I love a good story.

3. Simple Thoughts

Hello fellow writer!

Well I haven't written anything in a long time, but I've been working my way around to the same decision you've seemed to reach so I'll just go ahead and call us both writers :3

If you want to be a novelist than you'll need to be aware of a few things.

1.) You need a book agent, and a good one. To get one of these you pretty much have to be in the writing world for awhile and make some connections with people so that you can get someone to pull strings for you. I was looking this stuff up when my brother wrote his book, and pretty much you best be prepared to go waist deep into the social side of the writing world :slight_smile:

2.) Don't give up. If things start looking tough just keep going forward because if you're persistent good things will come to you.

3.) Send me a copy of your book when you finish it :3 I love a good read!

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    4.) Finish your freaking books. I have yet to learn this one, but it really should be number one XD.