1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK Legal name change

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by BookDragon, Jan 9, 2014.

1. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    SO my goal for the end of the month is to have set the wheels in motion on getting my new name and title legally recognized, but I've hit somewhat of a wall and I was wondering if there is anyone in the UK who has done this for whatever reason who could help me out.

I was doing a bit of research on it, and now I'm really confused. On the one hand I have a bunch of sites saying 'pay me £30 and we'll get it done' and then on the other I have the Guardian newspaper saying "Those sites aren't official, although they might work, the only official way is through this government site and it's free" only to have the form tell you it's like £100...

So I'm totally confused! All I want is my new name and to change my title to Miss (which I'm told I can do) but I have no idea where to begin now!

2. i changed mine and i did it online and paid £30. so the one you found for £30 probably is the one i used! :slight_smile: but you have to pay extra for more copies, which i did as i was scared some people might not return it and need it on file.

3. Nick07

I will move to the UK... I will happily pay 300.

Holly, congrats on the decision!

4. Beware Of You

You need a Deed Poll, its free to do but you need a solicitor to help you do it that is probably where the fee comes in. It has to be signed off in a Magistrate court and they check that you aren't doing it to avoid obligations.

https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll

I am doing one since I am taking up my Mum's maiden name as a double barrel

5. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  6. Beware Of You

Yeah OP is from Cambridge. The Scottish system is different, you don't have Magistrates etc. and I assume that the link is just to inform the government of the name change, you will still need a deed poll (or equivalent) to make it legal.