1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seeing a doctor

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by monotone, Jan 9, 2014.

1. monotone

Is it ok to see a GP in between seeing my psychiatrist, if I don't feel able to cope with my feelings from now until the next session with my psychiatrist?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's OK to do it I guess, but I'm not sure what they will be able to do. I find GP's tend to be severely lacking in mental health experience...

EDIT: Don't know why I didn;t ask this, but is there anything we can help you with?

3. monotone

It's complicated, I feel too ashamed of myself to tell my psychiatrist a lot of things, but I've told a lot of what I feel to my best friend, who's mom is a doctor. So the idea is I'm going to see her and she's going to tell my psychiatrist what I haven't been telling him. But I'm afraid he'll (my psychiatrist) be angry at me for doing it this way.

And thanks for the offer, but I don't think talking about it here is going to help.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your psychiatrist isn't there to get angry with you, he's there to help you. It might mean you spend some time working on WHY you are ashamed to tell him things, but the point is he shouldn't EVER express anger at you for something like that. It's massively unprofessional.

Is your friends mum allowed to do that though? I'm not sure how far confidentiality agreements extend, but I would have thought it would be a potential breach on both the part of your friends mum AND your psychiatrist without your personal written consent or something at least, after all, how could you then say for certain that she's only told what you asked her to? I wouldn't have though she would take that chance...

5. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think your GP can talk to your psychiatrist without your written consent. I've had to deal with this too when switching doctors between home and school. Your psychiatrist should know what's going on, and will be happy that you told him so that he can help you better. He won't be mad at you for being reluctant to open up.

(*hug*) hang in there man

6. monotone

I'll be willing to give written consent if necessary.

7. Mogget

Yes, you can, but it's more advisable to find a therapist who can help you learn how to cope with the distressing thoughts and feelings in between your psychiatrist visits. Mental health issues are best managed with a combination of meds and therapy.

8. monotone

My parents aren't willing to pay for any more therapy.