1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need weird advice, please.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by rocket89, Jan 9, 2014.

1. rocket89

Hey everyone...this is really long, but I could REALLY use some insight.

I'm a 24 year-old mostly gay woman who has been living at home to save money while I complete my undergrad degree. I've been anonymously perusing this site for a few days, and have generally been impressed with the wonderfully supportive community here...so I figured I'd step out on a limb and ask a bit of a question.

Here at the house, it's my mother, her boyfriend of 7 years, my grandmother, and myself. I only really get along with my mother...her boyfriend and I do not tend to see eye-to-eye on a lot of things, and while we USED to get along fabulously, our relationship has been going south. He has generally been resenting my being here more and more, in the last few months or so; he has begun constantly referring to me as a faggot in conversation, especially in front of company. He also tends to say really sexually inappropriate things to me, and makes every possible attempt to squeeze/touch my boobs and ass, when no one else is around. I'm not sure if his behaviour has anything to do with my sexual orientation or what, but obviously it is not appreciated. During our fights in the past, he has also thrown things at me, and once grabbed my shirt, threw me on the bed, and held me down as if he was going to punch the crap out of me (though he did let me up without further incident).

As far as the inappropriate touching, I've told him to stop, but he doesn't seem to take me seriously. In general, I've just got to the point of wanting to avoid being around him as much as possible...and this is precisely what I do. Less time spent at house = less chance of altercation, and having to deal with feeling uncomfortable around him and like I'm walking on glass because of his temper in general. He's a big guy, and can be pretty intimidating.

He had the entire Xmas break off, while my mother did not, and instead of wanting to be alone in the same house with him, I spent as much time as possible on campus in our department building (I have a key). It was miserable, but preferable...and I didn't have any friends who were available at the time to take me in out of this self-imposed exile. I ended up sleeping in my car a few times.

I am a music student in my 4th year, and the teacher for my primary instrument was around a lot during the break as he had to practice for a music festival. He is almost like family to me, and has been a great mentor these past few years. Naturally, I think he saw me around and was concerned, and as such he often let me just hang out with him and talk, which was cathartic, and once bought me something for lunch as I hadn't eaten that day (I'm quite broke at the moment!) He of course asked a few times what was up, but I was feeling too embarrassed at my cowardly, pathetic solution to this issue that I always shut down and was unable to say much. He respectfully never pressed the issue.

After New Years, he flew out of the country to rejoin his wife. I felt bad for never "fessing up" about my situation, despite his kindness and concern, and for some reason I felt compelled to write a short email to him thanking him again for everything and explaining why I was at the building so much...only, instead of telling the TRUTH, I fabricated a tale about my mother's boyfriend's adverse reaction to my "coming out", and an argument which resulted in my being temporarily forced to leave the house to let him calm down, with my only recourse living out of my car for a few days (this has actually nearly happened, but my mother intervened then).

I ended this short blurb by saying that we were reconciling now and everything was going to be fine. He and his wife (whom I also look up to quite a bit) both responded back with a lot of support.

The thing is, I hate lying and have been feeling extremely guilty about this. I don't even know what compelled me to say that, except that it seemed like a logical explanation I could get away with that wouldn't put any more stress on the situation at home. I've been feeling really, really terrible about it though, despite rationalising it, and now I want to come clean to my professor about the real reason I was there.

The thing is, I don't want him to alert the authorities or anything, if that is even an option. Mum's BF hasn't raped or done something like hardcore sexual assault, it's just been the unwanted touching and his general behaviour toward me. I actually keep a lot of this a secret from my mother. As far as I know, he treats her very well. They bought this house together, and with the dual income she is finally able to afford her dream of keeping horses again. If I told her about the touching, and the incident when he held me down and threatened to punch me, and that sort of thing...it might put a rift in their relationship. Maybe. (I mean, she witnessed him throwing the can of Pepsi at my face that one time and totally sided with him, even though it was completely uncalled for...so I don't know). I do love my mother, and I'm not a doormat...if he was beating us up or being more sexually aggressive, or if she EVER let on he was abusing her, I'd have us both out of here so fast. But as it stands, his animosity is only toward me.

I will be moving out very soon, so they can get on to living without my presence and everyone can hopefully go on with their lives...but in the meantime, SHOULD I come clean to my professor as to the real reason I was practically living at the building over break? Would he have to report any of this? I just feel so crappy about the lying, and...everything.

Yeah so...this is all really dumb. But I need to ask SOMEONE's opinion. ): Thank you to anybody who actually reads all that and responds.

2. unavailable

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is just me .... Nobody special .... But I think your mother should know how this man has treated her daughter .... Regardless of money or any other issues .... He's a waste of skin ... In my opinion ... Really want her attached to a man that can do the things he does to you? Will he abuse grandma after you leave? Then when only your mon is left... Then who? Not sure what your best action is .... But follow your heart ....

3. rocket89

Can I add that I feel absolutely sure this is purely a thing between him and I? I actually don't think she would even believe me if I say, "Hey mom, so your BF will occasionally grab my boob and exclaim 'TITTY SQUEEZE' and he also slaps my bum."

I mean, I know that I sound like I'm a rationalising victim here. He hasn't touched me inappropriately in a while, and has in fact resorted to just ignoring me, since I began intentionally spending so much time away from home. My mother still seems perfectly happy, however.

#3 rocket89, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  4. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That doesn't make it OK for him to abuse and sexually batter you.

5. unavailable

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hmm.... I really don't know .... Perhaps opening up to your music teacher face to face would give you some better insight .... The sense I get from your moms b/f though ... He's a terrible person ... Untrustworthy and mean hearted ...

6. rocket89

We just used to get along so well, for years. He even helped fix my car last summer and behaves perfectly fine otherwise. I just don't know if I'm overreacting or what? I don't want to invite drama. I mean, I'm almost 25. I can always just leave, which is what is in the works.

Thanks for the responses so far...

#6 rocket89, Jan 9, 2014
  7. unavailable

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hmm .... I really wish I could be of some help in this difficult situation you're in ..... I feel for you ..... On one hand ... Do nothing ... Nothing changes ... But not knowing the out come of doing something is sketchy ... I'm sorry ... I'm no help am I ... I sure hope it ends well for you though ...

8. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Do you really think you are over reacting? Reading what you have typed gives me the impression you are under reacting. The things he did to you are unacceptable.

9. rocket89

Okay...so, then what should my next recourse be? Nothing has happened between us for a few weeks. Neither one is here right now, being out of state on business. He doesn't return for nearly another week at least.

When my mother gets back should I just randomly tell her? What if she doesn't believe me? I still feel like I'm being dramatic. And what about my teacher, should I tell him as well and fess up to the lie?

I really don't want any sort of law involved, if it even can. I don't want to press charges or have a third party alert authorities, because *that* I do feel is unwarranted right now.

#9 rocket89, Jan 9, 2014
  10. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't know if I can tell you what to do. In a perfect world, you would tell people they would believe you and he would end up getting the help he needs. They have programs for abusers to help them change. You could tell your mother, but there is no assurance that they will believe you. Your professor will likely believe you and be compelled to help. If you don't tell them, then your lie can eat at you. The police may or may not believe you. They tend not to believe it unless they see it themselves.

If you are sure he wont abuse your mother or grandmother, you could just completely avoid him till you leave. It's by no means ideal because you would be more or less exiled from home and he would never get the help he needs.

11. Silenthe

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Rocket89, I'm sorry to hear you are in such a terrible situation. Your mother's boyfriend's despicable behavior is inexcusable. He has sexually assaulted you, used extremely bigoted language against you, and physically abused you. Any level of violence against you is wrong. In your language, I can hear you excusing him: "We just used to get along so well, for years" and "I just don't know if I'm overreacting or what?" You are a human being who deserves the utmost respect; ANY kind of disrespect and abuse against you is wrong. Just because he helped you in the past does not give him any license to disrespect you and your body Ever. After reading of your circumstances, my Main concern is that I hope you know that you don't have to excuse him in any way. He does not deserve it. You are a human being who deserves more than this, and I am so sorry that you have to put up with his atrocious behavior.

I am glad to hear that you will be moving out soon. And I can see why you don't want the authorities to be involved. You want to protect your mother and everything she has built with this man. I respect this wish, because we don't live in a perfect world, and terrible people get away with terrible things, and terrible people are also capable of good, which is what makes it so confusing. It is your choice, and only your choice, who you want to involve in this situation. As I said, my main concern is that I hope that you know, truly know, that you don't ever have to feel like you need to excuse his behavior. There is no excuse whatsoever. If you are excusing his behavior now, I am afraid that his behavior will escalate, become much more worse over time, and because you're excusing his behavior now, then what if he passes a line and you're not able to recognize it or don't want to? What I'm saying is that there Has to be a line, and only you can draw it. And I think a good way of drawing that line is to never ever excuse his behavior. Perhaps acknowledge that his behavior is wrong, and that you are helpless to change it, but don't make excuses for him. Please understand that I'm not trying to prescribe how you should think; rather, I'm just worried that you have lost a bit of your sense of self worth.

And lastly, I'm not sure what to say about telling your professor the truth. Ultimately, it's up to you. If you tell him not to tell anyone else, then perhaps he will respect your wishes. Also, I wonder, from the language of your message, if you really needed to share your story with someone, anyone, and if your guilt derives in part from this need. Perhaps I'm reading too much into the situation, but this is my impression: You're in a really terrible situation, and maybe sharing relieves some of the burden of keeping this big secret from the people closest to you: your mother, your grandmother, and your professor. I can see that you have many reasons for not wanting to tell any of them. But in the end, only you can be the one to decide who to tell.

Wishing you the best.

#11 Silenthe, Jan 9, 2014
  12. bitheway7

Tell your mom about it!!! Him touching you IS NOT OK. You have no idea if this inappropriate behavior will escalate over time. If your mom doesn't do anything, tell the authorities about it. Move out!!

13. Black Swan

Sweetheart, you're being abused. Both sexually and physically. And your making excuses for him. I know it's hard, but you're not alone. Domestic violence is becoming very common. It is not OK for him to touch you, no matter how well you used to get along. Many abuse victims go to their graves without a soul hearing about it. The abusers often get away scot-free. Be the brave one and break the cycle, this is not a person that you or your mum need in your lives.

14. Foster

The way that man touches you is not okay. I advise you to tell your mother, and then get out of that house. Stay with a friend or a relative. Abuse doesn't just go away, it usually gets worse. Trust me, I had an ex who used to touch me and I would tell him to stop, but he didn't. At the time I made excuses for him and blamed myself. The abuse only worsened. This is not your fault and you are not overreacting. The most important thing you can do right now is protect yourself.

15. rocket89

Thank you, everyone, for all the advice and responses. My mother doesn't believe me, and as far as the other stuff goes, she only told me that I have a tendency to "push his buttons" and that I should be more respectful. The hell, man!

I'm feeling really quite confused right now, and I still keep questioning if I am just being hugely over-dramatic. I don't know. So many other people have it much worse.

Silenthe, thank you so much. You are right, I DO want to tell someone I trust about all this. My friends are aware that I am unhappy at home, but I haven't exactly had the inclination to suddenly spill everything...and I don't know exactly why. I actually began seeing an on-campus counselor last semester, but it didn't last long. I never felt comfortable enough with the woman to delve into anything, and it was irritating how she automatically pinned all of my issues on an absentee father figure during my childhood. I stopped going, eventually. Probably wasn't a good idea, but whatever.

I have one close friend who invited me to live with her and keep her company once her boyfriend has to leave their house for a few months for a work thing, so hopefully that will happen soon. I've been searching for a job but it's been difficult, and I'll be leaving for a summer internship and then studying abroad next fall anyway...so, I only have to make it through the next four months.

#15 rocket89, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  16. Emberblaze

Option 1, Move out, as you have planned. This is how abusers work- they abuse one victim at first, and they do it in seclusion and leave no evidence. Then, they act as kind and sweet as can be to everyone else around, and even to YOU every now and then so that you WILL feel like you're overreacting. And then, they just get even more abusive. Then you try to tell someone, they don't believe you, the abuse intensifies, and the cycle continues.

I'm worried about your mother and your grandmother, I really am, which would be my only reason for hesitating to move out. So, this brings me to Option 2, raise your defenses. Buy yourself an easy to conceal taser or some pepper spray and the next time he tries something, get his ass with it... well, not his ass, you probably wanna aim for the face, but you get what I mean. Now, with this option, you'll have to play your cards right with when you use the mace or taser. Let's be honest, if he grabs your butt and you taze him, as justified as you are, he'll too easily be able to squirm out of that situation as the "victim". You probably only wanna use these tools if he's getting physically abusive.

Whichever option you choose, in addition to it, you need to tell your music teacher and probably some friends. You're going to need people on your side. It's hard to prove abuse when the abuser is always getting you when you're alone, but just make sure your story is consistent with everyone you may share it with.

Good luck, and don't fall in to any of his bullshit. Like I said, he WILL probably try to soften up on you and apologize and be nice and crap, but that's just a facade to make you feel bad about accusing him. Right now, he is your enemy until further notice. Do NOT trust him.

17. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's a shame that your mother didn't believe you. It's rather common too I'm afraid. I will tell you that no amount of button pushing justifies his treatment of you. It is no excuse. Your not over reacting. It really doesn't matter if other people have had it worse. What is happening is at the level of unacceptable.

I can't agree with staying with him for another four months. That is four months of sexual assault and abuse. That's not the kind of thing you should subject yourself to.

18. katwat

Verbal and emotional abuse is soul destroying. The fact that he has escalated that to physical and sexual abuse is a terrifying thing. You need to stop making excuses for his behavior and recognize that what he is doing is all abusive.

As for your mom not believing you, I am so sorry to hear this. I know you say that he has never abused her but are you sure? How does he speak to her? Is her verbally nasty to her? I am asking because when I was 15 and staying the weekend at my sister's house she made all kinds of excuses for what her boyfriend did. I was sitting on her sofa and he real quick knelt down in front of me and grabbed my boob. I leaned back away from him, got a foot on his chest and kicked him across the room. I started screaming at him and cussing him out for a dirty bastard. My sister ran in the room to see what was happening and he said "you sister is being mean to me, she kicked me." I was still screaming and told her that he grabbed my breast. She said "oh he didn't mean anything. He was being silly." I never stayed at her house again while she was with him. It turned out later that he had been abusing her for ages and she was scared that if I kept yelling he would beat me up too. After she finally got smart and broke up with him he came to her apartment, kicked in her door and raped her.

Your mom sounds like she is totally in denial because she might want to be. Her boyfriend sounds like a royal ass that is escalating his aggression towards you. When you said he grabbed you and threw you down on the bed my thought was it was lucky that is not the point he went ahead and raped you. He just comes of as a dangerous person for you to be around.

You said you only really get along with your mother. What about your grandmother? Do you get on with her as well. Has she witnessed any of this? Could you talk to her, or if she has seen what he does would she back you up telling your mother? How does he treat your grandmother?

If no one in that house is going to listen to you, then you really need to be careful because he sounds very dangerous. The fact that he calls you faggot, makes sexually inappropriate comments, and is touching you sexually kind of sounds like he is some kind of bigoted pervert who finds your sexuality a challenge to his masculinity or something.

Please take care of yourself. Please, please, please realize that you deserve better than this. Don't worry that it might feel like over-reacting. If you ever feel threatened, call the police. Just lock yourself in a room and call them. You keep you safe above and beyond all else.

As for telling your professor, if you feel the need to be honest with him then do so. As you are not a minor that will probably take a lot of the reporting rules off of him but I imagine with some searching online you could find out if college professors are required to report such things to anyone. If you feel like you don't want to risk that then please go back to your counsellor or even better get a different one that you might feel more comfortable with. Tell someone and also realize that YOU HAVE DONE NOTHING TO DESERVE BEING TREATED THIS WAY.

Good luck to you. Be safe.

19. KWDBM

Everyone else has said what I would say. Just want to say again that you are *not* overreacting; Too many people think that if nothing "serious" happens it's not worth mentioning. Which is exactly how things end up escalating to more serious abuse.

I'm so sorry that your mother doesn't believe you, and often it's more that she doesn't *want* to believe you because she doesn't want to believe that he could be capable of it.

I really hope you can move out soon, even temporarily, and maybe find somewhere more permanent during that time.

20. Silenthe

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Rocket89, it sounds like you had a psychoanalyst for a counselor, which is kind of amusing. I mean, I like psychoanalysis for the theory, but when they apply such ideals like the absentee father during childhood causing your problems, it's laughable. :slight_smile: Glad you didn't take that seriously.

In regard to your question of not sharing with your friends: I think I sort of understand. Often, when I go through something terrible in my life, I won't tell my friends until After it's over. They say that true friends will be there for you through everything, but I'm often afraid of burdening friends with the truth. It's difficult to sit down with them and say, Here's what's going on in my life. And what could friends do anyway? How would they react? I'm sure friends could be really caring and helpful, but when I am in a terrible situation, I use all my strength to get through the situation, and I might want to share, but I'm so focused on getting though the situation that it worries even more when I think about telling a friend.

It is often much easier to tell strangers, because if we're not helping you with the situation, you could shut us out. If you told a friend, the friend would know Forever, and might make you do something (get help) that you're not comfortable doing. Please understand that I'm Not discouraging you from talking with a close friend; rather, I just wanted to show that actually, there are lots of reasons why you might not be entirely honest with your friends, and these reasons make a lot of sense. We at EC now know and we all support you and we hope the best for you, and I hope that makes you feel a bit better.

I am really glad that you have plans to escape your mother's boyfriend. It seems that you've been sort of homeless for awhile, because we can't call that abusive place your "home." It's definitely not. It sounds like you have many exciting plans in four months, and I'm happy for you! :slight_smile: Just have to make it until then!