1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Someone I don't really know is suicidal

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by 143kc, Jan 10, 2014.

1. 143kc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So, this is quite a strange predicament, and I am uncertain on what to do. On tumblr, I accidentally found the blogs of a few people at my school who I have talked to once or twice, but am not friends with, so I decided to follow their blogs as they pertain to my interests (feminism or gay). Recently, I came across the blog of a girl who lives very close to me (next door to a family member in my development). This girls main blog theme is about her depression and anxiety. She always posts depressive and anxious statuses, but being that we have never talked more then 5 minutes in person, and we have no other similar interests, I decided not to talk to her (rude, I know, but I am too broken right now to deal with others). Well, tonight this girl posted an extremely suicidal status. Although I don't know her, I care about her, and I want her to get help. She already sees a therapist, but her family isn't too supportive. She mentions her favorite teacher in her last status, and I was thinking of telling the teacher about how suicidal this girl is, but being that I am very shy myself, I have no clue how to bring it up. Do I even tell her, or do I tell guidance? Should I even say anything, or will this girl freak the frick out if something happens? Any advice helps!!

[​IMG]

2. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

I had a friend like this (well you know...i knew her name...and she had a class with me...okay i don't have very many friends) but I went to the counselor at my school and told her about what was going on and the comment this girl had made to me (like a cry for help). After she talked to the counselor she was much more happy, because it told her that people care enough to report it. And that helps.

If she has a favorite teacher definitely talk to her, because the teacher can take it to the counselor if needed.

3. Emberblaze

(thumbs up for being on tumblr)

Now. It may not seem like it, but letting someone know you care seriously goes a long way. I really don't have much more advice than that, I'm sorry. But it seriously goes a long way to let someone kow that they are loved and that SOMEONE actually cares.

4. lssl

lssl Guest

I was a lot like that in middle and some of high school. I posted a lot of really hard-to-listen-to things on facebook and looking back, I think it was a cry for help. I'd say you have two reasonable options that I can think of if you want to help (and feel like you're in a place where you are able to):

1. Reach out to her. I know it might be awkward at first but it means a lot to someone who is really hurting to know that someone else cares.

2. Talk to her teacher. I would advise against this one until you've at least talked to her first. I know if anyone had talked about my mental issues with a school counselor or teacher when I was younger without reaching out to me first, it would've been really hard for me to deal with.

You could always even reach out to her and suggest that she talks with someone at school about her issues. That might be the best of both worlds; it lets her know that you care and sets her on a path where she can choose to get help from someone who is qualified to help if she feels comfortable with that. Ultimately you can't do anything to help her if she doesn't want to be helped and all you can really do is provide support.

The one thing that is a little worrying to me is that you say you are "too broken right now to deal with others." If you think that either of these options will be destabilizing for you at all I would recommend against getting involved and instead I think it would be good to focus on yourself.

5. itsonlyrelative

My friend found a lot of stuff on my tumblr regarding suicidal thoughts and got concerned about me and talked to my mom...while at first I was upset with her, I ended up getting the help and treatment that I needed so it all worked out in the end.

I strongly recommend talking to the teacher that she already has a good relationship with, or if you don't feel comfortable with that you can talk to your school counselor.

6. 143kc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    **Update**

Well, today I decided to speak up. I had a track meet, so I told my coach (who I trust with my life) about this girl and how I didn't know how to handle the situation. The teacher that this girl trust's is good-friends with my coach, so my coach texted her, and told me that they would handle it. She was with the teacher who she is close to today, so hopefully action was taken. I feel like I did the right thing, but I also am scared for the girl.

---------- Post added 11th Jan 2014 at 07:33 PM ----------

Gulp, and I also just checked her blog and she wrote a really depressing post about how she can't trust anyone anymore and how she will have to keep her feelings bottled up inside from now on. I am seriously second guessing myself.. I'm to the point of tears. My goal was not to make this girl's life a living hell, but I'm afraid that I did so.

7. itsonlyrelative

She may angry that she feels that she is being forced to get help now, I know I was at first...It takes a bit to accept the help being offered sometimes. Honestly I think you did the right thing

8. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Those posts were just cries for help, and you answered them by getting teachers involved. She is just scared of what's to come. But now her tunnel of darkness at least has a light at the end because someone stepped in.

You did the right thing OP.