1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Introverted and non-stereotypical disability romance?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Lanx, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Lanx

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Complicated title? Complicated situation.

I have no idea how to find a partner. I'm introverted, asocial, and non-stereotypical. I wouldn't mention stereotypes if it weren't from the fact that nobody ever knows I'm gay. The guys at my school want nothing to do with me. They say I'm too straight, and so that must mean that I'm homophobic or broken.

On top of that, I'm blind. The guys who do want to be with me are the guys only interested in sex (as seems the norm in the university setting.) I'm an intellectually driven, academically motivated person. I have zero interest in casual hook-ups. I want stimulation mentally infinitely more than I want it sexually.

Blindness doesn't inhibit my participation in activities. I was an asocial introvert long before I was blind. It does, however, mean that I don't have the opportunity to participate in non-verbal communication the way that sighted folks can. More to the point, it means that I can't look around to see people who might interest me. I like quiet, thoughtful, creative types. The louder and the less intellectual the person, the less I want to be around them.

Help?

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am truly unable to help. Being terribly nearsighted I sort of can relate but I don't have a very good way to help you in that regard. However being gay straight blind mute male female it's not important as much as trying to find someone or taking advantage of the opportunity. Perhaps instead of looking you should be listening and jumping on an opportunity.

Just know there are people who do care.

3. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When you say that they see you as 'too straight' do they know that you're gay? and you saying that they think you're homophobic or broken, have they actually said that, or is that just your fear of what they mean or think?

I can appreciate the difficulty in finding people who are intellectual, if not more mentally flexible, rather than those who only care about the physical side of everything. With the guys who are only interested in you sexually, as you say, what is it about you that they like?

While an easy way to fix it would be to talk to people more (advice that I can't even take, myself), obviously that's something that isn't a viable option for you, or you wouldn't be here. A middle ground between isolating yourself and surrounding yourself with numerous people would be to find an organization or club at your school or in the area that centers around the things that you like; this way, at the very least, the people you meet and interact with will be people who share common interests. However, since you're here, you've already found one way to find a partner. Even though the odds of that happening here are probably less than on other sites, sites more directed to that sort of thing, you know one way of finding people who can be more thoughtful and creative.