1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to win the job you badly want?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by JessRae, Jan 13, 2014.

1. JessRae

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I know this sounds cliche but how do I win the attention of the company I wanted to apply? I wanted that my resume is unique and never been done before. I know it's like breaking the norm and this will actually a risky thing to do cause who knows I might end up not having the job instead. So what should I do?? I really want to work in this company but I just don't know what to do to win it there are a lot of people who will be my competitors and I'm thinking of some strategies on how do I even get ahead of 'em even to resume?. Is making it long and sentence like is okay?? or a big no-no?? cause I have these idea that instead of giving the normal resume why not write it differently more like 'thought-catalog'(8 Things We Need To Stop Saying To People In Long-Distance Relationships | Thought Catalog) thing if you happen to know that site. So what do you think???

I also happen to watch about a lesbian who get hired in Ellen because of her youtube resume thing and it's cool of her actually, I admit I want that one to happen to me.

I really need your advice guys! I would highly appreciate it. :icon_sad:

2. Jwis

I have been involved in the hiring process for quite a few people at my organization. We use search and screen committees generally consisting of 4-6 people. When going over a resume I look for the following and hope its easy to find within less then 1 minute (I often have 20-40 resumes to look through) This includes things from a cover letter as well;

1. Your primary skills
    2. Highlights of your career so far
    3. Your current / previous job & time there
    4. Why you want to work here
    5. Why we should hire you
    6. Correct grammar

To be honest with you I don't like unique - I want the information to read in a easy format and be quick to find. That's just me though. The content of your resume is what's important as long as it is clean and well organized it should speak for you. Not the uniqueness of it.

3. JessRae

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You have a point there 'time' the quicker you get to know and read the higlights of everything about them that can be helpful to the organization the better. But how am I gonna stand-out among the rest who had better achievements than me? who had way more experience than me?. *sigh*

4. Jwis

You would be surprised. So many of the resumes I receive are junk, just pure junk. Spelling errors, illogical format, full of useless details.

But to be honest with that you have to earn the experience. That comes with moving up in the workplace.