1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting Over?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by willycubed28, Jan 13, 2014.

1. willycubed28

Hey there. I want to share a little bit about some things that have happened to me, and then get to my question. Last year was a little rough for me. I had a wreck that totaled my car. It was a bad wreck but I got through it. I was also in a bank when it got robbed, and had a gun waved in my face, and was physically forced onto the ground. That was actually 2 months ago. That situation put a lot of things in perspective. It made me realize that I have been holding back living my life for a long time. I have been living for others. In the next few months I am planning to move to the NYC area, and that will be a change for me. I have been up there several times and to be honest I have fallen in love with the city. I have always been a city boy at heart. The one thing that has stopped me in the past is my family and my friends.

After what happened two months ago I feel like that I need to start living my life for me, and not for anyone else. Am I being selfish?

2. bazinga91

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Go be happy, it's your life, and you should live it. Sometimes it takes something so traumatic to realize the path we are on might not be for us. You can always visit your friends and family and with technology today you can keep in touch 24/7.. live your life and dont hold back

3. Jwis

No I don't think so at all. You need to do what is best for you. It shouldn't mean that you cant be friends with those that you will leave behind, and well family is family.

I did something similar when I was 21. I was headed down a bad path with no focus in my life. I upped and moved and attended the University - It wound up being one of the best decisions of my life.

Like the above poster said, sometimes you need a major event to stir things up.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

4. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry that all those things happened to you. Glad you made it through.

To answer your question: No, you're not being selfish. You're simply looking out for yourself. Your happiness is your first priority now, and it's not selfish to want to be happy and live life for yourself :icon_wink

5. SilentCreatures

Sometimes we all need a trigger to realise what we want or need in life. I know they were tough and difficult situations and I can relate having experienced both of them before. These are catalysts that can provoke positive change. Never feel guilty about thinking about yourself. Don't cut out family and friends - let them join you on the journey and embrace all the great things this world has to offer. I wish you all the best - it's scary and darn exciting at the same time!!!

6. MayatheSiren99

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Living for yourself is an important mindset to fall into. Whether you're pushed into it or you choose, in my opinion it's the quickest, but sometimes most difficult, path to happiness. Somebody disagrees with you living for you, that's their problem.