1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paranoia about lying?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MerBear, Jan 14, 2014.

1. MerBear

Okay so someone (not going to say who) lied to me....and for some reason, i've been having almost, panic attacks about it. like if someone says something like "oh, my brother got hit by a car" ....i like get paranoid and just shut down because i wont believe them. this person lied about stuff that happened to them so when I hear people talking about "rape" or something big like that, i wont believe it....but i have almost a panic attack over it. i'll tell you a story, i think i've told on here before.

even if what the person is saying is true, i wont believe it.

Anyways..... Kimberly (some girl) was lying again and I couldn't take it.
    I was freaking out. I didn't know what to do. I knew she was lying...it was too obvious and when she started lying, my body shook inside....and I didn't want to hear, I tried to cover my ears and distract myself.....I bit the handle of my bookbag and I know that sounds weird but I didn't even know what was going on except that she was lying and I couldn't take it.
    Whenever someone starts lying or I feel they are lying. My heart starts to pound, my stomach starts to twist and I end up panicking...I can't help. I don't know why I feel that way and why I panic

this still happens, when someone is telling some story and i feel like they are lying, i get really uncomfortable and want to run away.

does anyone have any idea? or any solutions?

2. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Is it sorta like you are cringing for the person? I get that when people embarrass themselves around me.

3. MerBear

im not embarrassed for them, i just get scared inside and grit my teeth and want to run out of the room. i dont want to hear it because i think they are lying

4. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The shutting down could be a defense mechanism used to prevent you from being disappointed, getting hurt, etc. I do something similar, closer to cognitive dissonance, where a part of me will believe them, and another part won't, yet I'm preparing for the outcome of either. That way, I'm not caught off guard after getting my hopes up prematurely.

It feels like there's more to the story than you're letting on, involving trust issues and perhaps being hurt in the past from lying, but I won't pry, since it's up to you to decide what to share on a public forum. Has it been going on for a while, and have you tried to overcome it?

5. MerBear

i told you someone lied to me about something and its affected me dearly it seems, your not getting it, if someone is talking to someone else about a story ...and i overhear it, and i dont believe it.....my body shuts down. i close my eyes, i feel like i want to run out of there. the same thing happened, my friend Bradley was talking about how he was in a gang to my friend lauren and i started getting really uncomfortable and i got up and asked the teacher if i could go to the bathroom and left because i was soo uncomfortable, i just felt so tight inside and wanting to close my ears and have them stop talking.

this has never happened before, only until that certain someone person lied to me

I have been hurt from being lied to from that person, the memory haunts me.
    i have tried to overcome it by breathing and stuff, nothing works