1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talking to the vicar

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by BookDragon, Jan 15, 2014.

1. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So today I realised I need to talk to someone about feelings and things so I can actually get on with my life. Mums church recently got a new vicar who is apparently a really nice dude and apparently does counselling, or at least has trained to do it and is happy to have a free chat with you whenever you need it. So obviously mum is CONVINCED I need to go and talk to this guy.

Now I'm not sure how to deal with this, because frankly, I don't want to go and speak to him, at least, not about my problems anyway.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that no matter how well trained someone is, if they are going to be counselling you, they shouldn't have any contact with your family or friends. When I think about the reasons for this, I can come up with two solid ones.
    1. I don't want to talk about my family to someone who see's them regularly
    2. I don't want to talk to someone about such deeply personal things who, despite having never actually met me, asks my mother how I am. I guess, I just don't want to like, go speak to the guy and then have mum bashing my door down bothering me about my mental state 'cause the guy asked how I was today!

My other issue, is that I know he's a vicar. I should say I want it made VERY clear, I have no problem with him being religious, I have a problem with his job.
    I don't know anything about the guy, so I can't put the same emphasis about how good he is as mum does, he is as far as I know, no better or worse than any other random stranger. BUT, no matter how many times she swears he won't try and convert me or anything, I know it will bother me...

He does have the one advantage of being free though.

But seriously, I'm VERY emotional at the moment, and my brain isn't being quite as good with logic as it usually is right now, so somebody PLEASE check my work here and give me some insight. Should I speak to this guy?

2. UIOP

Holly, if you don't want to speak to him, then don't. It's up to you (sorry for giving that annoying answer). You've summarised the pros and cons of talking to this guy so now, if you think over them and look back at what you've just posted here, you can make a decision as to how you feel. Do you think it will benefit you? More importantly, do you want his help and, if so, do you think it would benefit you enough to outweigh the issue with him being a vicar?

My personal opinion is that you should follow your head - if you don't want to or it feels wrong, then don't feel like you have to. If you do want to do it, however, then go ahead.

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I intend to follow my head, unfortunately at the moment it's not working at full capacity and my gut is picking up the slack. I flat out refuse to go on gut reaction...it'll come to me eventually but I find I'm less able to process if I've been crying!