1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with anxiety and paranoia

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by nichison, Jan 16, 2014.

1. nichison

I've been dealing with anxiety and paranoia for a few years now but its gotten worse lately. I just feel like the world is out to get me and that people are laughing at me or talking about me all the time. I start thinking about something like my grades, and even thouh I know I'm going to pass most of my classes, I keep thinking im not going to graduate. If someone tells me something, I over analize it and think that they were being sarcastic or that I'm just annoying them by talking. I always feel like I'm the problem with anything. I don't know how to get this under control. Sometimes I get so worked up that my chest stars hurting and I feel sick. Can anyone help?

2. apostrophied

You sound like a classic case of anxiety. I was similar to you (maybe not quite as bad, though) when I was your age.

The good news is that CBT is very effective with this. Can you go to a therapist?

Another thing that helps is to constantly remind yourself that people are not laughing about you. They have tons of people in their lives to laugh about, why would they pick you? Even then, they have tons of things to laugh about, why would they even laugh about a person?

When you start overanalyzing things you say, remember that you're overanalyzing because you said these things yourself. Other people don't have the time or the inclination to analyze the things you say, they have a million other things to deal with.

And so on. Try to look for alternative thoughts to replace those obsessive thoughts you have. I know it's not easy, but it will get better. Look at these links for some help:

Anxiety: Stop Negative Thoughts

CBT Self Help - Step 1 --> The self-help course looks like pretty standard CBT, check it out!!!

3. paranoidkid

Sounds like a little me haha. I'm the same way. You should go to therapy and they can teach you coping skills. Sometimes if that's not good enough then they will prescribe you medication as well which will help you work everything out without being so caught up in the anxiety!