1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non LGBT related subject but it is about college & career

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by TyTy91, Jan 17, 2014.

1. TyTy91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I posted a thread about myself with education career a couple months ago.
    I really wanted to be a camera operator for TV/Film and live in Los Angeles that was when I was in high school!
    However reflecting back on the projects and the segments I made for the school TV show depending on what segment I wanted to do. I really like interviewing people but me I would preferably be off camera but if I had to it would be okay. I really would like to interview celebrities (singers,actors actresses,athletes,reality stars some politicians) you know celebrity coverage or if not I would like to report entertainment news on a radio station with other radio personalities on their show!

A confusing part is that you have people that go to college and are totally doing a different thing, for example, you have people who have a degree in English or Business or Political Science yet, they are Radio Personalities or TV Anchors or Actors/Actresses. It's VERY ironic. Would need a Bachelors degree in Journalism or Mass Communications. It just feels weird that most of my high school classmates are graduating college this year, and I'm left far behind. If I do get a Bachelors degree with me graduating maybe at age 26-27 and thats late to me. Plus to intern I would be almost 30 years old.

OR
    If I do get a degree in the TV production program at the technical college, I could intern at a small TV studio or I can intern at a radio station and learn and work my way up, I wouldn't have a bachelors degree, but I would still have a completed 2 year degree in TV. Plus I've taken video production classes when I was in high school and still kept all of my notes from high school for future reference.
    Plus if I do continue on the Associate Degree program for TV production instead of transferring to a university it would save me a copious amount of money and student loans, plus time.

Would it be possible if I can interview celebrities and or report entertainment with this degree?

This link below is all the courses in the TV production Associates Degree

Chattahoochee Technical College - Television Production Technology Associate of Applied Science Degree

2. AKTodd

There's no degree that guarantees you will interview celebrities or report entertainment, really.

A degree (of whatever sort) gets you the right to apply for a job and maybe gets your foot in the door. Experience, such as interning, can also do that. Either way, it then comes down to how good you are at your job, how hard you work, and keeping your eyes open for opportunities to advance your career and guide it toward whatever end state you are looking for.

Bear in mind that there are a lot more interviewers than there are celebrities and they may be semi-celebrities in their own right. So you may end up doing a lot of other work before you get to the point of being able to do what you want. But that's how the game is played, in this and pretty much any other job. You may also find new things that interest you along the way and change your focus. That's also part of life.

Hope this helps,

Todd

3. TyTy91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh Okay! : )

I just dont want to make the same mistake as I did last time and to prevent it from happening again. Like the fact I took a year and half off after my 1st semester of college. When I couldve kept taking my core classes when I was on break . Or the fact that my mom had a connection with her bosses friend who worked at CNN to give me a exclusive tour. I totally went a met up with the woman but I shouldve taken more interest and ask more questions but I was only 19!

According the degrees at the colleges the one that I sent you first is at a 2 year technical college. I thought about a degree in Journalism at another community college but I dont think so

At the same community college with journalism is Communications and with the Communications degree has these career options http://www.gpc.edu/exploreallprograms/content/communications

I want the one with Media/Radio/Television/Broadcasting!

Even though Im typing right now I think a Communications degree might be better than the TV Production Associates degree because with the Communications its more broader who knows if the Radio/Movie/TV/Broadcasting doesnt work out I could always work at the other places. Like I would like to work for a LGBT center. The thing Im not looking for is the financial aspect for schooling but I plan on continuing taking classes at Community College.