1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where do you meet friends?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Son of Sun, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Son of Sun

Son of Sun New Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello!

I personally met most my friends using gay portals. Quite bizarre way to look for friends, not something, but it is much easier for me. Actually it is the only way for me to get closer to someone.

Perhaps I have something like avoidant personality disorder, I feel threatened when someone tries to get closer to me. The reason why I am isolated from university society. I don't particularly like big parties, I love my privacy, but... Gosh! I don't want to be so isolated and scare away people who seem to like me.

Let me give you an example. Finally I met someone fantastic through gay portal. He invited me for a home party. He said he will take care of me, drive me there and back etc. Gah. I ran away in panic - there would be so many strangers! I really wanted to go, but the idea of meeting a few new people made me shake. Well, nice opportunity was lost. The guy wasn't very happy.

But I'd really like to break my isolation, at least to try. Where have you met your friends? Any ideas for me?

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have old friends I grew up with, newer friends I met through karate and college and now some I'm meeting at work.

Never really met anyone online or anything. I really suggest joining a new circle and meeting new people who are non judgemental.

Now as far as dating goes vs. friends those are two different beasts.

3. Son of Sun

Son of Sun New Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I also had friends from childhood, but since I have moved to another city our relations have deteriorated. Maybe it's natural or just I haven't pay enough attention to them.

Recently I met some people, at least one girl, in work. We get along so well, we are spending all the breaks together, we are always trying to sit near each other. But still, I have no idea/I am reluctant to take it out of work.

That could be fantastic idea to meet someone in activity group like karate group. Although I wonder - how to turn random acquaintances into friends?

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Effort. The ones I call true friends I have invited to parties and went out to eat with them after training on many occasions. "Making" friends isn't so hard as much as making good ones.

I met two pairs of friends who are now married and the other is getting married in March, and I am one of the few invited to the wedding.

Point is friendship only goes as far as both parties are willing to go.

5. Son of Sun

Son of Sun New Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Effort. On reflection I think that there are people who, at least in the past, were trying to befriend me. People I did like, but didn't really show them that they're important.

That's one thing. The second thing that I am isolated in the college. If only I wouldn't be shy and reserved I could probably try going to parties. But I felt that I was doomed and now... all I know about meeting new people is to register on gayportal and look for the right people as long as I find anyone not limited to sex or marriage.

Thanks anyway for your answer! I will think about applicability of "effort".

6. vamonos

I meet them everywhere. I meet people at work, at restaurants, waiting in lines.

I never try to meet people. For me, it has to be natural.

7. apostrophied

I usually meet people in school. But they aren't the closest people ever... Still nice to hang out with them.