1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I not have the right to have an opinion on gay rights if i'm not out the closet

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by welshy92, Jan 19, 2014.

1. welshy92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Right,

Had this disscussion with my bf and has really annoyed me! As you can see on my profile i'm gay and out to all the people close to me and who I feel needs to know about my sexuality. Is this regarded as still being in the closet? I don't know, I'm not one for telling everyone in work, on social network about my sexuality and I won't walk upto people and say hey i'm gay, mainly because it's my bussiness and I don't want people knowing. I'm proud to be gay but am a sensitive person and wouldnt take well to any hobaphobic comments.

So I have been reading some reports about russia's anti gay laws and I think that it's unfair on gay people within the country and silly for this day and age. However, my bf thinks I cannot have this opinion because i'm not completely out the closet to everyone and am not true to myself therefore I shouldnt be so critical!

Is my bf right? Are you not a memeber of the gay community until you are out to everyone you know? So frustrated right now! :dry::bang:

2. Daydream Harp

Re: Do I not have the right to have an opinion on gay rights if i'm not out the clos

Either your BF is just being silly and joking or he has some odd views, I will say that. IMO, even if aren't gay you should have a right to express gay support if you want, it's a good thing so who cares about your LGBT status? Also I would say you are out of the closet if you tell anyone who you are friends with, and even if you were in the closet you would still be gay, and still be a part of the LGBT community if you wanted to.

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: Do I not have the right to have an opinion on gay rights if i'm not out the clos

Everyone has a right to their own opinion, even straight people. Just because you don't come out to many people doesn't mean you're in the closet. IMO, your definition for being out is pretty much all that's needed. Don't let others redefine it for you.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

"In the closet" doesn't mean you're not true to yourself; it means you are yourself in secret. So yes you're allowed to have and express an opinion.

IMO what he's doing is presenting a "No True Scotsman" fallacy to feel that his opinion is superior/more qualified than yours for a silly reason. Ex. "No true advocate of gay rights chooses to hide who he is." That is completely arbitrary and unnecessarily divisive. Why dismiss allies because they don't fly the rainbow flag in front of their house?

5. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

Your BF might understand why people might want to stay in the closet if he'd gone to the high school that I did. Coming out completely got one person sent to conversion therapy, a guy severely beat up and he got death threats, vandalism. Another girl came within seconds of being gang raped. I never came out until I got the hell out of there. I still haven't come out to my employer, because ENDA hasn't passed yet. If I did, I'd have plenty of time to express my opinion on here, because I'd be unemployed. Still, it's not as bad as a friend of mine, who if she comes out her family will kill her, I mean literally kill her, despite being in the U.S.

6. KWDBM

Your boyfriend is an idiot. Sorry, but that's just... I just don't even get it.

How does being "true to yourself" have anything to do with being "allowed" to have an opinion on political matters, anyways? None of that even makes sense! Sounds something like only people without secrets can pass judgement on others; Well that lets out the entire world, then.

Ignore his opinion. Or tell him that everyone is allowed to have their opinions about things, no matter what the issue. That's sorta why it's called an opinion. There are no requirements you must meet in order to have one.

7. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

Since it's too late probably to take it back, I want to apoligize for the previous reply if I came across as a little miffed. The PMS must be kicking in. When I read the OP I took it personally. I wish someday I can get on facebook or here and say to the whole world, "I'm ------ and I'm a lesbian" and there not be any consequences for it. Not just for me, but for anyone. That would be a wonderful world.

Sorry I'm ranting again.

8. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

"So I have been reading some reports about russia's anti gay laws and I think that it's unfair on gay people within the country and silly for this day and age. However, my bf thinks I cannot have this opinion because i'm not completely out the closet to everyone and am not true to myself therefore I shouldnt be so critical! "

Then with the best will in the world, your boyfriend is a fool.