1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by DangerousHunter, Jan 19, 2014.

1. DangerousHunter

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hello, I have a little problem. I'm currently in the 9th grade & soon to be 15 on June 21st. Every time I go into a new grade & during the time of Eid, people find it hard to believe that I'm Muslim. They find it hard since I'm white & they don't usually see whites as Muslims, which angers me. They always ask me if I "converted" which angers me even more. I'm Bosnian-Canadian. Bosnia's a white country with the major religion being Islam. I tell them this, but they don't listen.
    :help:

2. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suggest to show them the stats from different sources if the topic is brought up again. If they deny you're Muslim, show them (don't give them) some artifacts of your religion like a Q'uran with your name on it or possibly early pictures of your parents or you in the Mosque. If they still deny it, they're not really worth your time and they're just giving you shit for the sake of giving you shit because you're "different".

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's best to not get angry at people's surprise or doubt about any specific factoid about you. So if they say "No, you're not Muslim", you can just shrug it off and say "Well, I'm pretty sure I am, but I won't fight you on it." And then just leave it at that.

Lex

4. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ignorance is a pain in the butt at your age. Sorry that they're being fools.

Don't get worked up about it. Whether or not they believe you has no effect on you.
    If they tease you about it, talk to a teacher or counselor at school.

Lex always has solid advice.

5. Nikky DoUrden

Question is why do u mind?
    Is it important for u that people will know you're muslim? Is that because you're in a muslim society and you want to feel belong?

In general I would say - don't bother explaining to them, if they want to be dumb so let them be dumb :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    If its because u want to fit in, like Ryuichi said u can always bring "evidence" and even verbal one - u can say some Qurean lines which will show you're knowledgable about it :slight_smile:

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I often get similar answers when I say I'm Catholic because I am an Indian American and people assume I'm Hindu or Muslim. Luckily, people in the churches I've attended have not been discriminatory; it's mainly people who don't know me well that make assumptions.

If someone asks you why you're Muslim, ask them why they are a Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, Atheist, etc. A lot of people don't really think about their beliefs. IMO, you don't need to go out of your way prove you're a Muslim. Besides Islam is supposed to be a colorblind religion open to everyone. That's why things like the shahada are universal declarations of belief.

7. apostrophied

Just tell them about how you're Bosnian and how Bosnians are white but can be Muslim. Nothing like a good little history lesson to set the record straight.

Or ask a feminine lesbian how she deals with the, "Oh, but how can you be a lesbian, you're so pretty!!!" crap lol. It's kind of the same problem, no?