1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awkward situation

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Dre, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Dre

Dre

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi Guys,

Just have an awkward issue coming up since I'm not "out". One of my friends is seriously pushing for me to go on a date with one of his female freinds who according to him is "super keen on me". She's a nice girl, very smart, good looking blah blah but naturally I don't want to waste her time. I really am exploring the gay side of me and though I am attracted to woman I really don't want to date girls right now. How do I deflect this w/o hurting anyone's feelings?

Ps. I'm getting a lot of "oh you're such a catch and single" why don't you meet so and so alot recently, ironically enough when I was actually into woman it happened way less, and I never know what to say in these situations, I just kind of let it slide hoping they forget or don't really muster much enthusiasm -but it's getting harder and harder. I know people are just trying to be helpful but it's getting awkward now........

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    " I really don't want to date girls right now."

Remove the word 'girls' from that sentence and you've got all the justification you should EVER need to give another person for why you won't date someone.

Remember, there is a fine line between 'helpful friend' and 'annoying bastard' and if your friend is crossing that line, they ought to know about it. It sucks to think you're trying to help someone and find out that you've actually been really annoying them the whole time, but it sucks a whole lot MORE to know you've been doing it for a really REALLY long time and nobody told you!

3. chrispunkins

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's a little more difficult with guys and turning down dates - especially if it's a male friend pushing you and you aren't ready to come out.

I agree though that saying you aren't interested in dating / not ready for a relationship would probably be a good way to go until you find yourself

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Besides what was said above, try saying that you want to find someone on your own and that you don't want any help.