1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gym - Feeling Awkward in the Locker Room

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by IJustWantToLove, Jan 20, 2014.

1. IJustWantToLove

Hey everyone =)

I'm working out at a local gym on a fairly regular basis, but every time I set foot in the locker room I feel totally awkward. Just want to know if others feel the same way?

One "issue" I'm having is that I really avoid looking at anyone at all (and therefore not recognizing people I know because I simply didn't realize they were there since I don't feel comfortable looking around in a locker room... sounds weird I know, but happened more than once...). I just feel totally uncomfortable looking at all those half naked/naked people (not that it's not nice to look at :eek:, you know what I mean), but probably because I fear what they might think if they caught me or something, I don't know:icon_redf. Basically I think that probably most don't really care or probably don't even think about that stuff and I'm worrying for no reason at all, since most of those other girls/women seem to take their own sweet time with showering and changing, standing in the locker room naked and applying lotion and stuff...

The other "issue" is that I'm totally uncomfortable getting changed in front of other people... (I'm rather chubby and not really confident when it comes to my looks) I always try to change like really fast, already putting my sportsbra on at home so that I only have to change into t-shirt and sweatpants and stuff, but even that's enough for me... I actually never shower at the gym, always at home. I don't know, it's just really awkward... :confused:

Do any of you feel the same way? And if so, how do you deal with this awkwardness? :help:

2. thekillingmoon

Yeah, I feel a little awkward at the gym as well. I'm a self-conscious person. I avoid looking at anyone changing and try to change as quickly as possible. I don't think there's anything wrong with my body, I just don't like being undressed in front of anyone. So it's my inner insecurities and shyness that I have to deal with. If it makes you feel better, no one's perfect and many women there don't have a perfect body either.

3. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This might seem bad but I just enjoy the occasional sneaky look :wink:

4. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know what you mean. Whenever I go into a locker room I always look at the floor because I don't want anyone to think I'm staring. :icon_redf Sometimes I even run into people because I'm not looking where I'm going! And whenever I accidentally look up, I find myself looking up for much too long... :confused:

5. PurpleGrey

I feel like a creeper looking around, but fortunately, I haven't been in a gym since before I came out.

Anyway, if you're more uncomfortable than the benefits of the gym can outweigh, there's always the option of working out at home. I recommend you watch Abs of Steel, if only because it's an old tape and the moves don't feel as stupid.

6. Jwis

I was a bit awkward in the locker room at first, but I overcame that. I am a regular at my gym and have made a few 'gym friends' I have gotten to the point where I no longer feel awkward... Most of the time. If one of those friends happen to be in the locker room while I am, I can hold a short conversation and feel perfectly normal while doing it. I'm not to embarrassed to get undressed either.

I've will even go into the sauna (not coed), and the whirlpool (coed)

7. MightNeedThis

I feel ya, going into the locker room always felt weird for me, too. Though, honestly, I think a cursory glance is passable, as long as you're not leering. Try not to worry yourself.

8. apostrophied

Doesn't your gym have private showers and cubicles? :O I think it's totally normal not to want to be naked in front of a bunch of people...

9. fortheloveoflez

I think I feel awkward not because of my orientation but just because...a lot of the time I just don't really want to see some strangers naked and then also be naked....think of it this way, I seriously doubt you're the only women who likes other women who goes to that gym

I also promise you that any one who decides to openly undress like that at a gym setting is likely aware that others will see...so it's not like you're invading their privacy if you accidentally see them...they are fully aware that if they change then others are bound to maybe see them naked. They probably just really comfortable with the idea and don't care. I think also, there is a stigma against men going to locker rooms whereas I feel like women tend to mind less when there are lesbians present...I don't know...that seems to be a common trend with me....there's almost like this sense of trust from women to women since I guess we tend to assume that the other knows how it feels like to be looked at inappropriately, so we expect that she wouldn't do that

#9 fortheloveoflez, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  10. Echoing

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Sure. The first time I went into the changing room at an all-female gym, I felt like an imposter/fraud and that everyone would know what I was (trans) and I'd be chased out with pitchforks and flaming torches.

But it turns out that most people in there are just as insecure about their bodies, nakedness and changing rooms, so I stopped worrying after the second time.

11. Nikky DoUrden

And now we found another good thing about having glasses, because in there u just put them off and u won't see anything yay :grin:

12. KnightAssassin

Change before you go? Or set it up to have time to change after. If dwimming leaves extra towels to cover your seat.

13. IJustWantToLove

Thank you, everyone, for your responses, it really helps to know that others feel the same way =) Makes me feel not all that weird about how I act... :wink: You mentioned some ways of looking at it that I hadn't taken into consideration before, so thank you.

There are a few things I want to add/clarify/react to/whatever:

Jwis: When I go to the gym with a friend I'm also able to converse while changing. But the difference is, normally I would look at my conversational partner every once in a while, but when in the locker room: No way! You know what I mean?

apostrophied: Unfortunately, no. I actually think that's pretty uncommon over here. I don't know, maybe some upscale fitness clubs do have single cubicles and private showers, but not the average affordable ones :wink:

fortheloveoflez: "I also promise you that any one who decides to openly undress like that at a gym setting is likely aware that others will see" Actually, with some women you could think they are putting on a show on purpose (with all the putting on lotion real thoroughly or blow drying their hair wearing only their bra... see, now I sound like a total perv...)
    But your way of looking at it makes a lot of sense and I'm probably just overthinking things.

HazMattic_Force: Unfortunately not an option. I don't have a car, which means I walk to the gym or ride my bike. So that's a no-go since I don't want to walk through the town in my sweaty cloth, especially in winter/when it's colder...

#13 IJustWantToLove, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  14. fortheloveoflez

Some people just like showing off in a safe setting...so I can get what you're saying

15. apostrophied

Wow that's really *interesting* that they don't give you any privacy. I'm pretty sure that would be unthinkable in North America. Mind you some pools have public showers, but people usually stay dressed (at most, they pull down the top part if their swimsuit). Most newer pools have private showers. I remember as a teen in swim team, girls would freak out if some uninhibited old lady stripped in the showers. :wink:

As for privacy when changing, what I sometimes do is bring a mid-calf length jersey skirt with an elastic waist. I can pull it up or down as needed to cover myself, but it's loose enough to let me move so I can dress myself. Works pretty well.

16. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Not at all, I go to the gym regularly, other than the very rare guy who makes me swoon, I feel comfortable.

17. Saint Otaku

I'm so lucky I have a weight set at my house -- I'm so bashful around others, and the only way I think I could go to the gym is with a buddy.