1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still Trying to Make Myself Straight

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by spockbach, Jan 21, 2014.

1. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I feel like the world is entirely lacking in lesbians and continue to feel that heterosexuality is a desirable and achievable goal. On the other hand, I'm not THAT disillusioned. Do you have any words of advice on how to accept the fact that I'm not going to change? Do you still sometimes try and force your thoughts into heterosexual thoughts? Do you ever think or hope you might be wrong about being LGBT?

I'm really eager to hear from lesbians, because I feel like a complete outcast - a strange person who just doesn't fit in with the straight world around me. I should very much like to change, even though I know I don't want to push myself into trying, as I have so many times before!

2. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm, WHY do you want to change? Is it simply because of the smaller number of gay vs. straight people?

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why do you feel like you aren't lesbian? Why do you need to be straight?

Why do you feel like an outcast?

4. fortheloveoflez

Hun, I don't think that there is a lack of women attracted to other women. What there is a lack of is women who are out and proud. I know it's not easy. In my city there isn't a single lesbian bar but a million gay bars. The lesbian community appears small when in actuality it is just less active.

Be proud that you are confident enough to be yourself despite what others may think. Also keep reminding yourself how beautiful it will be when you find the girl of your dreams. Wouldn't it be awful to pretend to be straight? I mean, that way, you will feel awful and you will also make your male companion feel awful for lying to him. Every one deserves a shot at love. If you were going to miss out on it you would bring down some nice guy with you as well. You will also risk your true happiness and make others worry for you. That's not so fun.

You're right though, you won't fit in the "straight" world if you are looking at it only from your romantic preference angle. If you look at it this way, every straight person is more or less some thing like us. We all have dreams. We all have memories. We all get our hearts broken and rebuilt. So in a nutshell, even though we have it harder in the romantic department, we are not ALL that different from them. Besides, most straight girls want to experiment with other women and have "women" crushes....so in some ways you are even similar in the romantic department it's just that you take relationships with women seriously and you cannot see yourself with a man.

5. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Oh, I definitely feel lesbian; I merely wish I weren't. I would like to be straight because I've never fit in - and the rest of the world is straight! I tried for a very long time to like young men, and when I realized that all that fighting my true feelings was for naught, I was entirely devastated.

6. Echoing

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I know the feeling. I wish I wasn't trans and hadn't needed to transition.
    It would have been better for everyone - me, my family, my friends - if I'd never transitioned. But I had to.
    Being cis would have been so much easier, but denying yourself only works for so long.

7. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "and the rest of the world is straight"

It most definitely isn't...not by a long shot...

8. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I tried to make myself straight and sometimes i still question my sexuality but i'm reaching a point where i'm actually like being a lesbian . At a time in my life at 22 years old i did not want to use the word lesbian to describe myself but back then i did not know i was a lesbian . What i did was I did not push away my thoughts or feels about other women I explored them and accepted them and accepting does not mean liking you can accept your thoughts and not like them but don't run away from them welcome them and explore them .
    That's what helped me . I remember I told a guy friend of mine that I wanted to be with other women he told me don't waste your time women can't do anything sexually but even if that were true I still wanted to we with women .

9. setnyx

you may hide from it but not change how you feel. i tried for years to be " " normal " & not an offence to god. as long ago as i could rember i was attracted to females, a phase everyone called it. i'm 48 now and all i managed to do was waste time and feeling unhappy.

10. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ditto, but I'm only twenty-one. I did try super hard.

11. femmeinpink

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm finally accepting myself as a lesbian. During middle school and high school, I thought there was something wrong with me for not having a boyfriend or really any guy crushes. I think I tried to suppress the feelings I had for girls so I could pretend to be straight and just uninterested in a relationship for made up reasons. The truth is, I wanted a relationship like everyone else had, I just didn't want it with a guy. Realizing that has changed my whole life and given me hope for a future relationship with a woman.

12. thekillingmoon

That's how I feel sometimes. I don't know any lesbians in real life. Most of the time it seems like I'm living in a hetero world where I'm the odd one. I used to have a friend who wasn't straight and it made me feel better about everything. Now I'm alone again. It's not that I think straight people are that different, there are just things that they will never have to worry about. For example, I can't openly talk to my parents about dating and relationships because if I said I wanted a girlfriend, I'd be judged harshly. And I'm sure some people would look down on me if they knew. Still you can't change the fact that you are attracted to women and become straight or bi at will. It's pointless to force yourself, in the end it would only make you more unhappy.

13. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I always thought there was something wrong with me for not being into guys too! And then when I started having really strong feelings for female friends, I thought, "Something is really messed up here; what the heck should I do?!"

---------- Post added 22nd Jan 2014 at 12:03 PM ----------

I quite agree. I have tried, but it doesn't really do all that much more than gross me out (because I hate kissing guys, etc.) and make me feel that there's something entirely wrong with me. And I know - my mother tends to look at me as though I'm seriously weird for not wanting to be with men.

14. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I recall from other threads you are admittedly religious. Have you been indoctrinated that being a lesbian is wrong? Is there such over zealous homophobia in the church that it is actually preaching hate now?

You need to let go of that guilt, I've always felt the catholic guilt personally for ANYTHING I perceived as wrong because of what the church said. If you read the bible (New Testament) Jesus never preached hate of any person.

You must unlearn what you have learned and begin to love yourself for who you are... Not "what" you are.

15. WallWeed

After desperately trying for 7-8 years to find ANY sorts of attraction to guys, my hope in eventually changing my orientation is grim.

I don't condemn or judge those who are out and proud, but I have personal convictions about it, so, as of now, I've resolved to live a life of celibacy. You're not alone.

16. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My church tends to be pretty open diversity; I am a member of an Episcopal congregation. My choirmaster is openly gay, and we used to have a lesbian deacon (deacon-priest is similar to nurse-doctor).

I, on the other hand, have struggled with it on a personal level, partly because ... well, to be honest, I don't even know. I don't think my choirmaster or LGBT friends are going to hell, but I worry.

It isn't generally a religious issue for me, though. It's really just feeling left out of the world around me. I just still WANT to like men, even though I know I can't. I won't try, because I know it's entirely futile, but it harasses me. Plus I live in a little town in Rhode Island, and Rhode Island (except for the Brown University area) is sooooo lacking in lesbians (at least out ones; most girls around here are obvious and self-confessed heterosexual women).

---------- Post added 22nd Jan 2014 at 08:01 PM ----------

I've sometimes thought along the same lines: I'm afraid of finding myself in a relationship that other people condemn. But then, I often care far too much about how people see me.

17. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know the providence area fairly well, brown university has a strong LGBT community. If not you can always visit the friendly northern state of MA.

You do need to learn to let go however or you will never be at peace.

18. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes, I think I will learn to be happy with my lesbianism, but right now it's definitely scary. And yeah, Brown definitely has a strong LGBT community. But part of my hesitance is that I live at home and my mother is skeptical of how I feel about women; I have only so much freedom to explore.

On the other hand ... a big part of my issue is that I crush on straight girls. Blargh. Life hurts.

19. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You will figure it out for yourself.

The crushing on straight girls though, sorry. We always want what we can't have huh?

20. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's the classic "best friend crush".