1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Just a Little Help/Advice

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by mostlyoblivious, Jan 22, 2014.

1. mostlyoblivious

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hello everyone. Sorry that this is a little long, but if you can, please read and respond. Also, I hope it doesn't sound too neurotic, but it probably will. Please bear with me.

Starting a few months ago, there is a guy that I see nearly every day at my college's dining hall. He is VERY good-looking, in my opinion, so I have certainly noticed him before now and have stolen a few glances here and there when I see him. A few months ago, I sat a short distance away from him, though I didn't know this until I had sat down and started eating; it was just a pleasant coincidence. It was a Friday evening and the hall was relatively empty. He was sitting with one or two girls, but not his regular group of (mostly guy) friends that I usually see him with.

Now, I'm not 100% certain, but I'm fairly sure that he looked over at me, smiled, gave a little two-fingered wave, and a "sup" nod. I quickly looked down at my plate; my first thought was that he must have caught me looking, but it was so sudden. This was so out-of-the-blue and unexpected, that I was sure he must have been acknowledging someone behind me. A few minutes later, we both happen to be leaving at the same time, and I am walking behind him to put away my plate. I swear, he then turns slightly and does the same thing again. I think I tried to respond with a little "sup nod myself, but I was so shocked that I honestly am not sure that I did anything other than let my mouth hang open. I am almost certain that this one was directed at me.

A few days later, something similar happens at dinner, although he is with his regular group of friends. He gives me a little nod of the head and an audible "sup" as he walks by my table and our eyes meet (I manage to return this one, lol). To make a long story short, we've been having these little interactions off and on since then. I've seen him glancing at me from time to time as well (I think), and our eyes do meet.

I know guys sometimes give each other little nods in passing, but I don't know what to make of this constant, quiet acknowledgement. His eyes also seem to linger too long. There are other cute guys that I see on a regular basis, and I know they've seen me. None of them act like this. I don't know how to explain it, really, but based on my own experiences with and hanging around straight guys (and trying to feign one for a long time), this all just seems a little, different. He is ALWAYS with at least one friend, wherever I see him, which makes it impossible to try and start a conversation (It is so annoying!). Also, I almost NEVER see him with girls, and I know he is single. We've never actually met, by the way, don't have classes together, or anything like that; he's not acknowledging because he recognizes me from somewhere else.

It's driving me crazy. To make it worse, I know that nothing I have described is really indicative of anything, other than maybe he is just friendly. I grew up in a rural area and attend a relatively small university in a relatively small, rural town. I've never been in a relationship and have never really known any gay guys (though I have looked around online in my area), and I feel like I am just wanting something to be there so badly, even though I know there more than likely isn't. I am just having a hard time giving this up. I've found out a little bit about him, and that has made it worse: he's athletic and smart, too. Just the small possibility of something being there makes me not want to give up hope yet; I would hate to find out I was wrong.

Can someone else just tell me what they think about all this? Just comment on any aspect of it. I've just started grad school, and it's hard enough without me torturing myself with a fantasy. Someone, please, just give me your opinion. Help me get over this.

2. Canfer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Being interested in someone is natural, and It's more predominant when you never have been in a relationship.
    First things First. Keep acting the same for a week. If the eyes conection between you and him continue to happen, i think you could act in some way. If you don't feel confortable contacting directly, maybe you could get his facebook contact First, so you could start talking to him in some way.

3. MarvinMinsky

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    What does he like to do? Become interested in it and hang out with him.

4. bluesky

Yeah, it's pretty much hard to tell in if he's interested or NOT in your shoes... you can't sit back and fantasize in this case. I've had incidents like this before and it lead to nowhere, some of it was just wishful thinking unless you really approach it and take the risk.

My advice to you is that, you know this situation better than anyone else and if you feel he's probably interested too then you should introduce yourself. You can't wait around and hope that he will introduce himself to you, he might do it he might not... If he's with his friends so what? Introduce yourself anyway, it's not like you're hitting on him by introducing yourself. I know it's hard because you guys don't know each other therefore you won't know if theres similarity in interests... but you're better off introducing yourself to him, that way you got something to work off of IF you see him by himself next time you can talk it up with him. Good luck with this!

5. mostlyoblivious

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for the replies so far!